Thread: Amp draw per pixel effect of intensity/power limit?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp draw per pixel effect of intensity/power limit?

This may seem like a stupid question, but consider it me just wanting to make absolutely sure I'm not mistaken. 12v pixels. Consensus seems to be to consider a load of 0. 06 amps per pixel, at 0.02 amps per color. Now that is full white 100%. I know real world tests have shown a lot of variability in that standard estimate. What I want I want to confirm is that if I limit power for an output, let's say 50% just as an example, is the amp load theoretically 0.03 amps per pixel in that case? Again, I know that number isn't exact. I'm talking in terms of estimating amp draw and seeing if that would help lower it a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amp draw per pixel effect of intensity/power limit?

25% would be a closer bet . I did a lot of experimentation with the HinksPix and intensity vs amperage as the HinksPix had settings to go as low as 10% output .

The biggest drop for leds is towards the bottom end of the intensity scale.

Post Thanks / Like

The ratio of power to output setting is not linear (50% is not half the power).

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The ratio of power to output setting is not linear (50% is not half the power).
    Well THAT is really good information. But the example I gave was just a random number. The gist is can I lower the amp load this way? I ask, because of my e682 thread. As of right now, I only have the four outputs on bank 2 and first output of bank functioning. I will eventually figure it out when I can pull the controller box and examine it closely when it's not raining. However, I have a hard Dec 1st launch date, and I've already lost too much time fussing with this. If I spend much more time trying to get the controller troubleshot, the show won't be close to ready by Dec 1st. So priority #1 is getting the show up and running, and then I can come back and look at it closer (unless there is some kind of obvious fix. The pouring rain has made things very difficult lol). I've tested and realized I can run 200 12v pixels off an input if I lower the intensity at the controller level seems to work even at 50%, but I absolutely am not pushing the limits to find out. One 200 pixel run is one thing. Multiple is a risk. I have been able to run 6 of the 8 strings at 25%. My concern is the e682 I believe has a limit of 32 amps per 8 output side. I would be sitting at 48 amps if I ran all strings normally. So I just wanted to make sure I could hopefully bring the amp load down to avoid damage temporarily so I can move on to the rest of my build. One of the outputs working is on the other bank side, so I can knock it down to roughly 36 amps if I had full power. If running let's say 25% knocks me below that 32 cap and gives a cushion for safety, hopefully I can get by

Post Thanks / Like

that is why we power inject. i do not run any current through my controler. the v+ connections are not used.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

If you are having issues before show time , I would suggest solving it beforehand .
    Avoid having stress and frustration on the day and just enjoy your labour instead .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    If you are having issues before show time , I would suggest solving it beforehand .
    Avoid having stress and frustration on the day and just enjoy your labour instead .
    Oh, it would be working. It's just that I would rather run 8 outputs with 100 pixels each spread over two banks than put so much pressure on one bank.