Thread: Pixel Light Strips Quantity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Light Strips Quantity

I used to have a mega tree on one side of the house, it was flat and was comprised of 20, 15-foot long white rope lights.

I work in construction and during a recent office renovation, I was talking to the electrician about Christmas displays. I mentioned that things have come a long way since the rope lights I used to use and I was looking to do something again using RGB.

He told me that they just finished a job at a nightclub and they ordered the wrong sort of lights for the job and he had some extras that did not work. When I looked at what he had, I realized he had purchased pixel lights and not "dumb" RGB that was eventually installed. I asked him if he had any plans for them and if he would perhaps like to sell them. Long story short, I got 16 rolls of WS2812 waterproof lights, 15.4' long with 300 pixels per string for $100 for all of them.

I want to build a new mega tree to replace the old rope light one that has not been up in 7 years. Perhaps not flat, maybe a 180-degree one that can still go in the limited space in the old location.

Question: Are 16 strings enough? Is 300px/string too many? Would I be better off using these to go around the roofline or something?

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Light Strips Quantity

if you are going to use 100% white you will need to power inject..

enough? for a180degree flat tree i would guess yes...
    except seems the vertical spacing compared to horizontal spacing will be way off

Post Thanks / Like

There really not a good choice for either of those locations you mention. I'm willing to help you out though and will take them off of your hands. I'd be willing to give you your $100 that you spent.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you could use them anywhere. Although a lot of people will say that strips are not worth the effort, but I would use them to get started and to learn all of the hardware/software configurationsrequired to make them work.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Yes, you could use them anywhere. Although a lot of people will say that strips are not worth the effort, but I would use them to get started and to learn all of the hardware/software configurationsrequired to make them work.
    There are different types of strips. WS2812 based strips are the ones I have no end of problems with. WS2811 3:1 strips work just fine for me. With that said, I buy the cheapest strips I can find. These may be higher quality and will work fine for years to come. Yes you can make a tree out of them. I would still mount them to some sort of backing so that there is no tension on the strip itself.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q