Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So confused

Post Thanks / Like

Default So confused

I have multiple issues and maybe the are all related.

Earlier today I had nearly everything working except for my windows. I have been fighting with the null pixels trying to get the right lights on. I made an adjustment and everything stopped working. Controller is up and sends lights correctly to each model. FPP is up but can't send data to any of the lights. I'm lost where to even look. This sounds like something I did in the software to cause this but I don't know where to look.

Speaking of software, I'm also lost on the steps to propagate changes to FPP. Most of my changes now are just to the models, not the actual sequence (moving channels/universes) How do I just get a model change acknowledged when the sequence didn't change? Am I supposed to rerender, save and then upload or are there different steps? I don't understand how these changes are picked up by FPP when the sequence didn't change.

Lastly, I have been using the FPP connect function to send info to Falcon player. I don't understand this function but it was working. I don't have the software update my controller because I have some unusual strings/models. Am I okay to use this to upload the sequences?

As I type this, my computer is reinstalling FPP on my SD card. I'm hoping a full reset helps. However without understanding how I got this way to begin with, I feel like it's going to be an issue again soon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So confused

Vixen or xlights ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If he mentions models I'm guessing Xlights. Anytime you make a change in your sequencing you need to update FPP. However, if there are no changes in the amount of channels and controllers then FPP channel outputs doesn't need changing.
    One thing you can do is run sequences from your computer, not FPP. If everything works then try running through FPP. If it doesn't work then something is set wrong in FPP. The idea here is work on one thing at a time. Make sure your sequences work and everything is patched correctly.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pmiller; 11-20-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe render after making changes

Post Thanks / Like

1. Do you really need null pixels? Unless you're pushing data more than 7 meters/20-ish feet without hitting a pixel, you probably don't need them. And they're somewhat confusing for new folks.

2. If you change the sequence in any way other than just changing the size of something on the screen, you will generally need to re-render and save the sequence again, and then upload the new sequence. Even moving a model from one place in the display to another can result in changes that will require a re-render. For example, I'm moving one prop from the side of the yard to another and connecting it a different point. That action causes a change in the channel numbers assigned to that prop, and unless I re-render all my sequences to match the change, things will be off (this is an oversimplification because there are ways around it, but hopefully you get the idea).

3. You really need to post screen shots of your xLights setup page, the FPP Channel Output page, and the setup pages for your controller. We're flying blind otherwise, and you've essentially asked for someone to troubleshoot your entire setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Vixen or xlights ?

Xlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    1. Do you really need null pixels? Unless you're pushing data more than 7 meters/20-ish feet without hitting a pixel, you probably don't need them. And they're somewhat confusing for new folks.

2. If you change the sequence in any way other than just changing the size of something on the screen, you will generally need to re-render and save the sequence again, and then upload the new sequence. Even moving a model from one place in the display to another can result in changes that will require a re-render. For example, I'm moving one prop from the side of the yard to another and connecting it a different point. That action causes a change in the channel numbers assigned to that prop, and unless I re-render all my sequences to match the change, things will be off (this is an oversimplification because there are ways around it, but hopefully you get the idea).

3. You really need to post screen shots of your xLights setup page, the FPP Channel Output page, and the setup pages for your controller. We're flying blind otherwise, and you've essentially asked for someone to troubleshoot your entire setup.
    I was only using the null pixels because of how the string is set up. I have 2 Windows with a string of 170 something pixels. Each window is 78 so there's around 20 pixels from one window to another. I wanted those off so the idea was to create a virtual string and null out some of those. That has proven to be a disaster. I'll get some screenshots up shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    If he mentions models I'm guessing Xlights. Anytime you make a change in your sequencing you need to update FPP. However, if there are no changes in the amount of channels and controllers then FPP channel outputs doesn't need changing.
    One thing you can do is run sequences from your computer, not FPP. If everything works then try running through FPP. If it doesn't work then something is set wrong in FPP. The idea here is work on one thing at a time. Make sure your sequences work and everything is patched correctly.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    I have never been able to get the sequences to play directly from my computer. I hadn't given much thought to the fact that it has never worked until you posted that comment. For the most part we did all the development, deployed to FPP the last couple of weeks and just hit play

Post Thanks / Like

This is one thing that has always bothered me. When I first got the software, I manually created the first controller. When I hit discover, the second one showed up. Again didn't give this a second thought because stuff had been working as it should. Is the second controller supposed to be there?

Post Thanks / Like

This is what xlights currently looks like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast