Thread: e682 running pixels from a different voltage bank than designated if externally power

Post Thanks / Like

Default e682 running pixels from a different voltage bank than designated if externally power

Ok, I'm thinking that title just confused the ever living hell out of everyone who read it, so allow me to explain. The e682, 16 inputs, 8 input per side x 2. Although it's a single PCB, each bank has it's own power feed. In this case, you could use a single power supply of a certain voltage, and just run your v+ and ground to each power input on the board, and all 16 outputs would be of the same voltage and psu. This setup also allows you to split half of the outputs to a different voltage. So for example, you could have two power supplies in the enclosure, a 5v and a 12v. Feed one of the power inputs each, and you now have 8 outputs running at 5v and the other 8 running at 12v. So here is the question: Could I technically run 5v pixels from an output on the 12v powered side IF I only had ground and data connected to the controller board, and powered the 5v string with injection instead that never connects or comes into contact with the 12v V+ output of the controller bank? If I understood correctly, the data output and ground should function the same on the 12v and 5v sides, and as long as the power from either side don't contact each other....feasible? Without going into boring detail of my layout, yes...there is a method to the madness as to why I would want to do this. So to sum it up: 5v pixels connected to 12v controller, but only data and ground from the 5v pixel string connected to the 12v controller output.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: e682 running pixels from a different voltage bank than designated if externally p

Yes, you figured it out. Many people power their pixels direct from a power supply without running through the controller. So, it is exactly like power injection from a different supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: e682 running pixels from a different voltage bank than designated if externally p

So can the ground also be run from the second power sorce or does it need to come from the controllers ground?

Post Thanks / Like

all PS's and controller must be grounded to eachother...

Ground is also called "common" for this reason.
    it makes sure everything has a common voltage reference/origion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cymbiline View Post
    So can the ground also be run from the second power sorce or does it need to come from the controllers ground?
    Yeah exactly what he said. Think of it this way, the ground or negative from all your power sources/supplies and strings should all be connected together at some point. But the positive / v+ of different power supplies should NEVER be connected at any point. Even if it's indirectly, multiple layers apart. So in the example I gave, because I would be injecting power right at the first pixel with a different power supply than the one powering the controller, I would need to physically cut the v+ wire or leave it disconnected from the controller or baddddddd things

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds Great so I can run 2 voltages 5v and 12 v out of the same box if I link the 2 PS together by common leads, run data and ground from the controller and the + voltage from the 5v PS. Then the power for the 12v pixels will run directly from the controller board or do I need to power inject the 12v set of pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

thats correct..

power injecting will depend on:
    how many pixels you have
    distance from controller
    thickness of power/gnd wire

you have to check final installation and set the string to 100% white... if there are pink pixels you must inject..

but rule of thumb:
    5v inject every 50 pixels
    12v is 100pixels