Thread: Looking to try LOR Equipment and Software

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to try LOR Equipment and Software

Hi everyone,

I am looking to try out LOR hardware and possibly software.

What are the recommended cases, power supplies (12V), connection leads to RGB strings, RGB strings, etc that I would need to get for a Pixie 8 controller?

My intent this year would be to set it up with dumb strings to make a couple of lighted north poles. Nothing complicated but just enough to get a feel for everything.

NG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking to try LOR Equipment and Software

Did I mislead you? I would not do LOR for pixels.

And don't do dumb strings. The difference between dumb and smart is small and so impactful. Besides, the Pixie 8 won't do dumb! And it is way under powered. And it uses LOR propriety protocols.

Instead here is your shopping list (just my opinion based on the time of year and getting started now):
    1. Vixen or xLights. Try one and see if you can model some north poles.
    2. Get a ready to run Falcon F16V3 12v with xconnect connectors. It has everything and is ready to go for smart pixels and available within 2 weeks giving you most of December to display your lights.
    3. Buy some 12v 3" to 4" spacing ws2811 pixels preterminated with xconnect connectors. Since you are just playing around this year, 2 strings of 50 will do. Why? because they are readily available, they are pretty standard, and you don't have to solder.
    4. Buy some extensions that have xconnect connectors. One vendor you could look at for these last two items is wiredwatts (not affiliated nor have I bought from them). They are from the "community" and happen to have some 12v pixels and some short extensions (you might need several to many depending on where you mount the controller).
    5. Buy yourself a raspberry pi kit with a 32GB sd card and power supply. Install FPP and use that to drive your show. At the same time, order some ethernet cable and a small ethernet switch. This will be for connecting the rPI to Falcon. Get a short cable and one long one to get from your rPi to the Falcon.

Now you have basic stuff to make a small display and get your feet wet. If you happen to still have some money, buy more pixels and extensions. You can put them on a bush, hang them from some pvc arches, wrap around a mini tree form, loop them along a porch. You will definitely find a use for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking to try LOR Equipment and Software

No. I thought it would be better to go with the LOR stuff but I managed to do a bit more reading and looked at a few YouTube videos.

I will probably grab an F48 and a couple of the differential receiver boards and go from there.

Any recommendation on going with 5V vs 12V pixels?