Thread: Need Help Figuring Out What to Do

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Figuring Out What to Do

Hi Everyone,

I used to be pretty focused on getting an animated Christmas light show setup about 10 years ago. So much so that I was a COOP manager over on diylightanimation.com with the Lynx equipment that RJ designed and I helped with the Wiki. I got busy with work, travel, life etc. After our last move I thought that it would be nice to start building up a show again with the Lynx equipment but that forum has dwindled down in the last several years.

In a rash decision, due to still being busy with life, I decided to list all of my old Lynx hardware for sale. I have not sold anything yet but I am trying to figure out what my options are if I wanted to stay in the hobby part time. RGB pixel controllers were just becoming a thing and look too have matured a bit.

What is the leading hardware for A/C lights?
    What is the leading hardware for pixels?
    If I stay in the hobby, is my old Lynx stuff easily able to integrate into any of the newer hardware/software?

Any input would be appreciated.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Help Figuring Out What to Do

I think your old Lynx stuff runs DMX? Then it fits well. Most pixel controllers have at least one DMX output. So, you can be doing pixels and then running some AC props off the DMX port.

The leading hardware for A/C lights (opinion) would be LOR stuff. It is built and tested to be safe and very functional. But it costs you in money which is why diylightanimation and this site and the green site were all created. DIY, have fun and save some money. The two viable and supported options for AC lighting are the SS line and the TR line.(/opinion)

Almost everyone loves the https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php controllers. Dave provides good support, they run well, and are extremely popular. But there are a large number of other pixel controllers including DIY and premade versions that use the BeagleBone boards, some that use FPGAs, some that run off raspberry Pi boards and ESP wireless devices to do wifi based shows. And the latest version of the ESP software has support for being a player (reads sequence off SD card) so it can participate in an FPP (Falcon Player) network without sending data across the airwaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Mike.

You might want to look at the pixel 101 available on the AusChritmas site. It is a great primer for working with pixels. I also use the Falcon controllers in my show. They have an extremely versatile configuration suite. I have helped others set up AlphaPix and SanDevices. Both work but the setup is not as easy as with the Falcons.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Lynx Express controlling 16 strings of my lights right now. I have one Pixelpop wireless controller outputting DMX to communicate with the LE and other Pixelpops configured to communicate with my pixel strings.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't made up my mind to get rid of my old hardware yet but I am definitely leaning towards selling it regardless.