Thread: "PURPLE" LEDs

Post Thanks / Like

Default "PURPLE" LEDs

I repair my LED strings, down to the level of prying off the covers and replacing the actual LEDs. Most of them use the 3mm 'flangeless' style which I order in bulk from China. Problem is-- I can't match up the color of the 'purple' Christmas lights. The 'purple' (aka 395nm UV) LEDs I order do NOT match; they are a deeper shade of purple and not near as bright. The ones in the light strings are more of a lavender / fuchsia color, (possibly a combination of red and blue?). Does anyone know the name (not 'purple') of the color of raw LEDs used in Christmas light strings?
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "PURPLE" LEDs

I wonder-how close is the "pink" colour ~ 665nm
    https://www.pcboard.ca/3mm-super-bright-pink-led

Post Thanks / Like

The Pink I think is a little closer than the normal 385-405nm "purple" ones, but still not a match.
    An LED vendor in China replied to me regarding 425-435nm ones which sounds about right, but he doesn't stock them, and I can't find them anywhere.
    They may not be a specific wavelength, they may be a blue one with a phosphor coating, similar to white and and ice blue.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Are you repairing full wave strands or store bought?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is to buy extra strings up front and cannibalize some to repair others. If you didin't get spares already, then that will be tough. What strings do you have? maybe someone here does have some spares.

Jimboha
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is to buy extra strings up front and cannibalize some to repair others.
    That's what I've been doing. But the pins on LEDs don't like being unbent then re-bent and have a tendency to break. And it's more expensive that way, more work, and the purple has by far the highest failure rate, worse than blue and warm white.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: "PURPLE" LEDs

Update: I have now learned from a knowledgeable source that these are called "Phosphor Purple". They are blue LEDs with some red phosphor (as I kinda suspected). Now, I'm trying to find some for sale. No luck so far, but I'm waiting to hear back from some Chinese manufacturers who are currently off on Chinese New Year vacation. If I find some, the minimum purchase is pro'ly gonna be at least a thousand, so I'm thinking of making a group buy. So anyone who else who repairs their own strings and is looking for some of the elusive purple ones-- message me.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "PURPLE" LEDs - GROUP BUY

Those of you who repair your own LED strings-- I have finally tracked down a source for 3mm flangeless style "Phosphor Purple" LEDs-- as is used in holiday light strings. These are NOT the 395nm UV purples ones. These are actually GaN (blue) LEDs with some red phosphor. They are close to, but not quite, the same color as the pink ones, but these are a little more blueish. The color matches the purple Christmas and Halloween LED strings from Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc.
    This is direct from the Mfr so there is a minimum quantity, and shipping is way more than the LEDs themselves. I'm debating if its even worth it. But I'm looking at doing a group buy. If enough people are interested, I'll order a few thousand and resell them in bags of 100 for $5, post paid.
    That is still slightly cheaper than buying extra strings to cannibalize and I have found when you try to unbend and rebend the leads they often break so this will solve that problem.
    PM me if interested.
    Wizlights.com