Thread: New to LED

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to LED

I am looking to move to LED light show and I have NO clue about them. I was looking at the LED lights linked here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I am not sure first if they can be used with my Renard controller and second, how do I control them if they can be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to LED

Hi Frightmaster,

Welcome to the madness that is holiday lighting.

The lights you have linked will NOT work with Renard Controllers. Renard Controllers are designed to control AC String lights, ie traditional Christmas lights. What you have linked are know around here as Pixel strips and have a DC-based power system and I noticed that these are 24V. Most of the equipment used around here is for either 5V or 12V pixels and pixel strips. I would recommend looking over this Resource - AusChristmasLighting 101 to get started.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of LED lights can be controlled with Renard? I have not purchased any lights at this time. Or am I going to be in the market for a new controller as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frightmaster View Post
    What kind of LED lights can be controlled with Renard? I have not purchased any lights at this time. Or am I going to be in the market for a new controller as well?
    You will require a Renard DC board like the DC24 to control the leds in the Link you posted .
    They appear to be simple 5050 Dumb RGB strips.

Here is a Link to the Renard that will do the job .
    http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.p...roducts_id=278

I would suggest one of the EsPixel pops or EspixelSticks to control them .
    Last edited by angus40; 11-13-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

you can purchase AC 110v or dc 5/12/24v leds to drive with your renard. It depends on your renard. mine uses external ssrs that allows me to drive ac an dc lights using the same controller. you did not mention which renard controller you have. if you have an integrated renard (built in ssr) then your choices will be limited. So, what do you have?

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q