Thread: How Do I ... New to Vixen, light sequencing, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Do I ... New to Vixen, light sequencing, etc.

All -
    Forgive me if I couldn't find what I was looking for - I'm new to light sequencing, Vixen etc. I'm looking to start and the current show we do is basic using lightshowpi - yes, it's a start.
    Here's what I'm looking for and when I got started, I did find this on the lightshowpi google pages before they were taken down -
    How do I build, cheaply, something on the bench/desk on a very small scale that shows what is needed to learn the process?
    e.g. Here's your basic part list (as of date since things will constantly update) that you need to build something small on your desk to get that 'ah-ha!' moment where the light bulb clicks on in the head so you get an understanding how to do the sequencing.
    basically:
    * One string of WS2811 lights (add Amazon link)
    * Controller - buy or build
    * Download software
    * Create a sequence that runs the lights somehow,
    * Connect A to B to C to Z
    * Hit run, watch lights blink on desk, have Ah-Ha moment.

:-)

I don't think there even needs to be a project behind the learning aspect as my intention would be to just leave the lights all bundled up with the rubber band around them to keep things neat during the learning process.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Do I ... New to Vixen, light sequencing, etc.

Welcome to the world of light sequencing! The best place to start is with the Wiki (look for the tab at the top) and ask questions for clarification. I have found that the people here are really helpful and eager to assist.

BillW

Post Thanks / Like

A very good resource that will answer a lot of questions is the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual. You can join their website (auschristmaslighting.com) for free, then download the manual.
    The wiki here and also on the other DIYC sites is quite helpful as well.

I see that you titled this as "New to Vixen". If I may suggest, while you are getting the 411 on the physical side, take a look at the different sequencers available and see which one fits your method of thinking. Vixen 3 and xLights are the most popular, but there are others. Download them (most are free), and play. Long before you decide on the physical, and the purchases that go along with it, you can setup your site in a virtual world. This will help you get things started and help you in your decision as to which one is best for you. It will also teach you a LOT of things. Vixen3 is a great piece of software. It gets better every year. Just remember that another may suit your tastes.

Note that as in a lot of things these days, there are fanatics on all sides of any issue/method/setup. They will tell you - "use this" or "use that", "do it this way" or "don't do it that way". Except for those things that are done for safety, you get to experiment and decide. A lot of new procedures/methods have been found by those that didn't follow the "normal path". (It is Do It Yourself Christmas, after all!)

Full Disclosure - I use both xLights and Vixen3. I'm leaning more and more toward one of them, but that is due to my circumstances here.

And most important - you are on the right track. You are asking questions!!! Keep it up!!!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pynical View Post
    All -
    Forgive me if I couldn't find what I was looking for - I'm new to light sequencing, Vixen etc. I'm looking to start and the current show we do is basic using lightshowpi - yes, it's a start.
    Here's what I'm looking for and when I got started, I did find this on the lightshowpi google pages before they were taken down -
    How do I build, cheaply, something on the bench/desk on a very small scale that shows what is needed to learn the process?
    e.g. Here's your basic part list (as of date since things will constantly update) that you need to build something small on your desk to get that 'ah-ha!' moment where the light bulb clicks on in the head so you get an understanding how to do the sequencing.
    basically:
    * One string of WS2811 lights (add Amazon link)
    * Controller - buy or build
    * Download software
    * Create a sequence that runs the lights somehow,
    * Connect A to B to C to Z
    * Hit run, watch lights blink on desk, have Ah-Ha moment.

:-)

I don't think there even needs to be a project behind the learning aspect as my intention would be to just leave the lights all bundled up with the rubber band around them to keep things neat during the learning process.

Michael
    Hey Michael, I'd be happy to help you anyway I can. Once you get the concept, it really is straightforward. Vixen uses the same concept as many many types of editors and sequencers in different fields. It's a fairly standard type of program concept and once you get it, or you know anything about other similar styles, they apply accross the board.
    A few examples I can think of are like most audio programs and many video editors. Timeline left to right. Start to finish is represented within that sequence window. So if you have a sequence or song that is 2 mins, from one side to the other is 2 mins of time. When you drag an effect on to the timeline, the visual block that represents it lasts as long as the amount of space it covers. Drag one side to the right it lasts longer, drag the other way it's shorter. So you define the length of an effect by this. This is probably something you understand already, but worth covering. Is their any particular concept that you are trying to understand or confused by? I'm sure we can give you something if you want a proof of concept, but it's honestly probably not needed unless you just want to see it. Let me know your thoughts and I'll give you what you need.