Thread: Check out this Gem of a Find - Power Distro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out this Gem of a Find - Power Distro

Mostly C9 Light Show, powered by Arduino. 48A Full On last year. "It feels like a carnival"
    https://www.facebook.com/ItsaDillonChristmas/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Check out this Gem of a Find - Power Distro

Look how much of a rip-off it is here in Canada . especially for the 4 port variant .

Power

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the 30A 18 fuse system is only 50 bucks here, not bad for all the components together. Only bad thing its a metal box not for outside.
    Mostly C9 Light Show, powered by Arduino. 48A Full On last year. "It feels like a carnival"
    https://www.facebook.com/ItsaDillonChristmas/

Post Thanks / Like

...and it is fused at 1.1A (which times 18 is only 20A not 30A)... although adequate for relatively small runs of pixels, longer runs will be pushing it. Fusing it that small would also indicate that the traces might not be big enough for more amps. And the patch wire between the psu and outputs appears to be pretty small for 30a (easily fixed). Just beware if you think of using this for pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

A few years back someone on this forum posted a link or great deal here.

I purchased 8 -12 of them I believe for what seemed peanuts at the time . Shocking to see what they are currently selling at .

Post Thanks / Like

I might not fully understand power consumption, so let me ask... If each port is fused at 1.1A, does this mean that if 20 pixels are powered with it on full white (.06A per pixel), it would blow the fuse?

Post Thanks / Like

That will depend on how long you keep them at that level and what type of fuse you use. (slo, regular or fast)
    In general for our flickering use, I imagine you will be fine.
    Fuses work off the heat generated by the current draw. If you don't keep the lights on long enough you won't blow most fuses.
    A fuse is there to keep your wires from heating up and perhaps starting a fire. Your pixel wires are rated to more than 1 amp.
    So... the fuse is more likely there to keep you from frying a trace on a circuit board.
    Best to test!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I might not fully understand power consumption, so let me ask... If each port is fused at 1.1A, does this mean that if 20 pixels are powered with it on full white (.06A per pixel), it would blow the fuse?