Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel string wire gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel string wire gauge

I recently received some pixels where the description indicated 18 AWG wire. I checked the diameter of the conductor and it is about 0.59mm. 18 AWG is supposed to be 1.02mm dia. I made an inquiry about the discrepancy and was told by the seller that "We use so called 18 AWG wires for many years. I think it is not the standard 18 AWG. Standard one would be too thick to solder on the pcb board".

My question is, does anyone know of a supplier that sells pixels that have properly sized 18 AWG wire? That is, the conductor diameter is 1.02mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel string wire gauge

This has been discussed here before. If I recall correctly, the only way to get true 18AWG wire is to use a US supplier that complies with the specification and does not get their items pre-made or partially made in China.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are the suppliers that do not get them made in China?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    I recently received some pixels where the description indicated 18 AWG wire. I checked the diameter of the conductor and it is about 0.59mm. 18 AWG is supposed to be 1.02mm dia. I made an inquiry about the discrepancy and was told by the seller that "We use so called 18 AWG wires for many years. I think it is not the standard 18 AWG. Standard one would be too thick to solder on the pcb board".

My question is, does anyone know of a supplier that sells pixels that have properly sized 18 AWG wire? That is, the conductor diameter is 1.02mm.
    Not trying to start a witch hunt or anything, but out of curiosity, who was the supplier you got them from? That told you that? Full points for being straight up at least. Trust me when I say I know how you feel. Look at my threads from last season. It was infuriating. In my case, I was already working right on the line of acceptable IF it was the awg stated. It probably cost me about an extra 50-60 hrs of troubleshooting and rebuilding before I got it working decently

Post Thanks / Like

Also, obviously the thicker gauge has advantages, but is their a specific reason you are set on true 18awg? Of all the people here who mention using the "18 awg" especially from.china, I don't recall running in to many people having problems with the kinda 18awg that were based on the liberal measurement standards. Usually it was something else or a physical fault

Post Thanks / Like

It was Ray Wu. I ordered some pixels that he describes as have 18 AWG wire. When I received them they looked much smaller than the gauge of the pigtails I received from him. The pigtails are close to 18 AWG, not quite, but the diameter rounds up to 18 gauge instead of down to 19. So, I am ok with the pigtails. The pixels however, I paid extra for the heavier gauge wire but what I received is not even close. Actual diameter (0.59mm) corresponds to something between 22 and 23 gauge. That is quite a big difference.
    Last edited by steve123; 10-18-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Also, obviously the thicker gauge has advantages, but is their a specific reason you are set on true 18awg?
    Well, as I have been contemplating this issue I have come to realize there could be a safety matter here among the other performance issues you encountered. The smaller gauge wire is not rated to carry 5A current. But, all the controllers are fused with 5A fuses. I have come to realize that the reason they ship with 5A fuses is because they are configured to protect an 18 gauge wire. So, technically speaking, the 5A fuse rating is too big. 22 gauge wire is rated for 3A current.

So, I am wondering if there is a fire risk. It is like installing a 25A breaker on a 15A circuit in your house wiring ... not a good idea and definitely not compliant with electrical code.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as I have been contemplating this issue I have come to realize there could be a safety matter here among the other performance issues you encountered. The smaller gauge wire is not rated to carry 5A current. But, all the controllers are fused with 5A fuses. I have come to realize that the reason they ship with 5A fuses is because they are configured to protect an 18 gauge wire. So, technically speaking, the 5A fuse rating is too big. 22 gauge wire is rated for 3A current.

So, I am wondering if there is a fire risk. It is like installing a 25A breaker on a 15A circuit in your house wiring ... not a good idea and definitely not compliant with electrical code.
    Will you be ordering 3A fuses from Ray or calling him on his BS pixel wire size ?
    If they are not 18awg send them back at his expense and get what you ordered and paid for .

Why settle for typical China garbage ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Will you be ordering 3A fuses from Ray or calling him on his BS pixel wire size ?
    If they are not 18awg send them back at his expense and get what you ordered and paid for .

Why settle for typical China garbage ?
    You’re only going to buy pixels “made in America”?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    You’re only going to buy pixels “made in America”?
    Why would you think that ?

I have 18 awg tls 3001 from Ray and I have the original 2012 - 22-23 awg tls 3001 China garbage from Ray .
    If I ordered 18 awg today and received wire rated at 3A instead, Ray would be getting out the salt and pepper .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast