Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flickering Pixels (i.e. bad blinky-flashy)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flickering Pixels (i.e. bad blinky-flashy)

As an update:

I received the MOSFET and voltage regulators I order from Mouser. I assembled a board with those two parts and all of the other 'September' parts. The board seems to work properly now. As someone mentioned above about there potentially being a voltage issue with the data signal, I wonder if the voltage regulator is necessary even when 5V pixels are being used...

I think I might try the old MOSFET on one or two of the new boards to test my theory of needing the voltage regulator even with 5V pixels. I just wanted to let everyone know of my progress thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

I assembled a board with the old MOSFET and the added 5V voltage regulator in IC1. Everything works properly with no flickering.

It would appear that the voltage regulator is necessary even though I am running 5V pixels. It's possible that it's an issue with these particular pixels (not from Ray Wu (see above)). In any event, I will continue to assemble the two dozen or so boards I'm gonna use for my display and post an update if I have any issues related to the flickering I was experiencing before.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for keeping us in the loop as to your progress and findings .I may have to dig out the pixel pops once again after all !

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone,

I have been assembling more Pixel Pops. I have seven of them driving nearly 1200 pixels mounted in several of my windows. Since I have started including the 5V voltage regulator in IC1, I have not experienced any more of the previous flickering with my 5V pixels when no data is being sent to them. I will try to remember to report back my experience after another few weeks or so, but based on my experience, I plan to include the 5V voltage regulator on all of my Pixel Pops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davwav02 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have been assembling more Pixel Pops. I have seven of them driving nearly 1200 pixels mounted in several of my windows. Since I have started including the 5V voltage regulator in IC1, I have not experienced any more of the previous flickering with my 5V pixels when no data is being sent to them. I will try to remember to report back my experience after another few weeks or so, but based on my experience, I plan to include the 5V voltage regulator on all of my Pixel Pops.
    What power supply are you using ? Specifically?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    What power supply are you using ? Specifically?
    I am using PC power supplies. I cut all of the PC wires out and soldered lengths of SPT-1 (left over from my AC strand lights used in years past) to the 5V wires running to each Pixel Pop.

20201028_212215 (2).jpg
    Last edited by davwav02; 10-29-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234