Thread: Permanent pixel install - narrow gable overhang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Permanent pixel install - narrow gable overhang

Hello All!

I am looking to install some permanent lights and have seen the various threads and some sites which show using J Channel under the rain gutters, etc. I have a narrow overhang on the gables of the house. Okay, it is a board flat against the side of the house with a little trim and the shingles go beyond that. I have not fond any information on adding lights to this location. Has anyone done anything in this sort of a scenario. Is anyone aware of ways lights have been permanently placed in a locatin such as this?
    The first picture below is a closeup of the area on the left side of the house where the rain gutter.

PXL_20200930_131000834.jpgPXL_20200930_130903361.jpgPXL_20200930_130823916.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Permanent pixel install - narrow gable overhang

Do you want the lights to shine down? Then a j channel sandwich might work. The back one would be mounted right under drip edge, under the top board or on/under the fascia board. The sandwich is two pieces of j channel joined however you think it it would work best. The top piece covers the wires and might require trimming.

If you want them to shine out, then you would need a more engineered solution or be willing to mount directly under your shingles.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Permanent pixel install - narrow gable overhang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Do you want the lights to shine down? Then a j channel sandwich might work. The back one would be mounted right under drip edge, under the top board or on/under the fascia board. The sandwich is two pieces of j channel joined however you think it it would work best. The top piece covers the wires and might require trimming.

If you want them to shine out, then you would need a more engineered solution or be willing to mount directly under your shingles.
    Thank you for the information.

I understand the J Channel Sandwich to mean making a tube with the J Channel as shown in the last photo in this post. I was thinking of keeping it one piece so I could more easily replace any nodes in the future.

I had not considered sliding the long portion of the channel under the shingles. I do like the idea of pointing the lights down and washing the wall a bit. I have something to think about now...