Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole house pinwheel effect and sorting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whole house pinwheel effect and sorting

So I managed to finally figure out grouping to include all pixel strands and the matrix on my house. So I tried a default pinwheel effect just to see what would happen. It actually worked perfect on the roof runners and matrix. The matrix is the start point and is centered above my garage.However, the 2 side verticals and the bottom are out of timing. I'm thinking of maybe switching the sort order might fix things, but I need to do this manually and not alphabetical. Is there a way to do that or is that not the problem?

I just figured out if I drag an element between 2 in the list and neither is highlighted, it will move there when the mouse is released. It was not the order I had them as that seemed worse moving them around. Changing motion to iterations straightened it out for the most part. Now I need to center the hub of the spokes but offsets don't seem to change anything. What values do I use to move it up and right?

Looking at the pic you can see the spoke starts ob the bottom left of the garage on the matrix. Need to move it higher and right.
    Pinwheel.JPG
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 09-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Whole house pinwheel effect and sorting

Changing the order won't fix that. Make sure you change the effect setting (towards the top of the settings) from strings to location

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    Changing the order won't fix that. Make sure you change the effect setting (towards the top of the settings) from strings to location
    Well changing that did help clean up the appearance, I really like it now. If only I could get it to move. Can someone explain why when you click on a coordinate setting like X or Y offset you get a graph chart? I don't understand that? I'm used to entering positive or negative numbers depending on desired plot coordinates. Or at least please explain how to use the graph.Graphs.jpg
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Just play with the X Y lines (up and down) and you'll be able to put it exactly where you want it. Move the entire line up or down to adjust it. I don't remember which does what (X is vertical or horizontal???), but if you move one of them, you'll be able to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Well changing that did help clean up the appearance, I really like it now. If only I could get it to move. Can someone explain why when you click on a coordinate setting like X or Y offset you get a graph chart? I don't understand that? I'm used to entering positive or negative numbers depending on desired plot coordinates. Or at least please explain how to use the graph.Graphs.jpg
    See the blue line on the graph? Move it up to 50. Right now it's at the bottom. I think you can move whole line but I know you can move the nodes on the ends. Once moved you can type in exact coordinates.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Those are curves and represent the X or Y location over time. The time being the duration of the effect. So if you leave them flat you can adjust the location in the X or the Y space that will stay consistent over the duration of the effect. But if you want it to move around during the effect you can add points to those and have it vary. Adding one point in the middle and creating a V shape in the Y would start at the top and move to the bottom and then back to the top over the duration of the effect. You can play with the X and Y both to make it move in other ways. You can add several points to shape the path. The larger graph editor can make it easier, but you can edit the points directly in the smaller window inline.

See this tutorial for how to use the inline versions.

Post Thanks / Like

That worked great. I have a before and after video.

Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Have one more question. When I use this sequence on an old Win 7 PC tablet away from home, the Vixen overlays showing all the strings and grids are very bright and easy to see. When I load this sequence file at home on a high end Win 10 PC, I can barely see the light strands in preview mode when playing it. Is there some simple menu tweak to take care of this issue?
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a contrast adjustment on the monitor might help you. There is no level compensation in the preview itself or reason from the software point of view that the brightness would be different. The software doesn't know the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, maybe something changed last night with the nVidia driver. Vixen would crash every time I opened a sequence. I'm using a 2080 Super RTX card. So I saw there was an driver update from the 28th of last month. This cured the problem, but it was dim after that on the Vixen display. I will mess around with the video settings tonight.
    Love LEDs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast