Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this work to use 12v wirh a Wemos d1 mini??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does this work to use 12v wirh a Wemos d1 mini??

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    T
    The null pixel really doesn't bother me because I do it close to the Wemos inside the little waterproof box and it acts like a status light as well. shifter would be the same thing except having to run the 12v and 5v to it as reference voltages first I think
    If you must do a Null Pixel, just set it as a separate element. Then you don't need to turn it on or off, and it is counted outside of the rest of the pixels.
    Note: to restate. If your first pixel can be close to the WeMOS, then you do not need a Null Pixel. The first pixel will work correctly and retransmit data to 2 pixel an proper voltage. First pixel only needs to be a null pixel when you get a little voltage drop from too long of wire from WeMOS to first pixel.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    If you must do a Null Pixel, just set it as a separate element. Then you don't need to turn it on or off, and it is counted outside of the rest of the pixels.
    Note: to restate. If your first pixel can be close to the WeMOS, then you do not need a Null Pixel. The first pixel will work correctly and retransmit data to 2 pixel an proper voltage. First pixel only needs to be a null pixel when you get a little voltage drop from too long of wire from WeMOS to first pixel.
    Thanks for the clarification. In this case, it depends since I have more than one of these for different areas. Some are maybe a few feet away from the Wemos to the first actual pixel. So what would you consider too far? I put the null pixel in the little box that holds the Wemos, then I usually connect some pigtails to make the setup removable should I need to work on it

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Too far is beyond 30” I try to stay within 2 pigtails; pixel pigtail plus a short one on WeMOS. Short is 6” - 12”. Sounds like you are a “must use” null pixel application
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification. In this case, it depends since I have more than one of these for different areas. Some are maybe a few feet away from the Wemos to the first actual pixel. So what would you consider too far? I put the null pixel in the little box that holds the Wemos, then I usually connect some pigtails to make the setup removable should I need to work on it

I personally consider 1" too far for an unbuffered output. Not because of signal degradation, but because every millimeter exposes the GPIO to the potential for being damaged. If something happens to the GPIO, you throw away the WeMos. If the buffer is as close as possible to the GPIO pin, and something happens, you throw away the buffer. A far less expensive fix.

Whether you use a level shifter, buffer, or null pixel. that first device should be as close to the WeMos output pin as possible.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have several locations where the first pixel is between 6 and 15 feet away from the ESP board. Do a simple test and add some lengths of cable to your pixel to find out how far you can go.

Using a PCB developed for pixels usually includes a level shifter and output connectors that send the correct voltage to the pixels, so no need to use a sacrificial pixel. There are many examples of PCBs out there with ESPixlestick likely the most famous.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I personally consider 1" too far for an unbuffered output. Not because of signal degradation, but because every millimeter exposes the GPIO to the potential for being damaged. If something happens to the GPIO, you throw away the WeMos. If the buffer is as close as possible to the GPIO pin, and something happens, you throw away the buffer. A far less expensive fix.

Whether you use a level shifter, buffer, or null pixel. that first device should be as close to the WeMos output pin as possible.
    I agree with you Martin after losing an esp32 , and found these to be a great solution .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I agree with you Martin after losing an esp32 , and found these to be a great solution .
    Out of curiosity, how are you mounting the through hole buffer with regards to your wemos or esp32? I didn't realize you used a board or anything. I literally just have my wemos hanging on the wires inside the case, along with the null pixel. That way, any condensation isn't directly touching it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    I have several locations where the first pixel is between 6 and 15 feet away from the ESP board. Do a simple test and add some lengths of cable to your pixel to find out how far you can go.

Using a PCB developed for pixels usually includes a level shifter and output connectors that send the correct voltage to the pixels, so no need to use a sacrificial pixel. There are many examples of PCBs out there with ESPixlestick likely the most famous.
    I actually have 3 of the espixel pops as well. This was because I had a handful of the wemos, and I tried them last year and they worked amazingly well

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, how are you mounting the through hole buffer with regards to your wemos or esp32? I didn't realize you used a board or anything. I literally just have my wemos hanging on the wires inside the case, along with the null pixel. That way, any condensation isn't directly touching it
    Ic mounting for easy removal .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Ic mounting for easy removal .
    Lol I mean in what? Your not fitting that directly on the esp32. Or are you just leaving it bare?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast