Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this work to use 12v wirh a Wemos d1 mini??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does this work to use 12v wirh a Wemos d1 mini??

I did the original version of this found here: https://hackaday.com/2017/01/20/chea...-3v-data-line/ with a Wemos d1 mini and 5v pixels, and it worked flawlessly. Curious, would it work with 12v pixels as modified below? Screenshot_20200927-170642_Chrome.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does this work to use 12v wirh a Wemos d1 mini??

Yes that would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Or use a buffer/driver or an famp instead of a sacrificial pixel.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Or just don't connect the 5v out of the Wemos at all. Connect 12v supply to pixels and connect grounds from 5v and 12v together.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

There is a need to buffer the WeMos output so that it can drive more than a foot or two. The WeMos data output is only 3.3v

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Or just don't connect the 5v out of the Wemos at all. Connect 12v supply to pixels and connect grounds from 5v and 12v together.
    If you check out that link I put in, it explains it. The diode lowers the signal gate for what is considered an on or off signal in the original version to 4.3v from the original 5v. There was talk of level shifters originally talking about this topic but it occurred to me, doesn't the 5v wemos setup with the sacrificial pixel technically do that already? So I guess I was wondering if the signal which is already 5v anyway even in 12v pixels is addressed using that little trick, and 12v is directly connected to the pixels, problem solved right? As I type this though, one thing pops to mind. Although I think I know the answer worth checking with the vets here. Can't use a 12v sacrificial pixel with the Wemos to my knowledge since it can't power it, but on the flip side, I would then be starting the chain with a 5v pixel at the start before potentially 600 12v pixels and those don't play nice together. I'm thinking that really is the consideration to do with power flowing through it, not signal, so as long as I am not powering or connecting v+ from the sacrificial pixel to the rest, and it's only the signal wire, all is well correct?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It is the null pixel that is the sticking point for me. Setting up null pixels is a PITA. Using a driver is invisible to the entire system.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I bought a couple of Kev's boards, I built elements without diode, sacrificial pixel, or anything else. And they are still working.

5V to WeMOS 5V & G
    WeMOS G & D4 to pixel G (-12) and DATA
    12V power to pixel 12 V+ & 12V-

Keep the first pixel within 30" But as Marting commented.. .. .. 24" would be better.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Before I bought a couple of Kev's boards, I built elements without diode, sacrificial pixel, or anything else. And they are still working.

5V to WeMOS 5V & G
    WeMOS G & D4 to pixel G (-12) and DATA
    12V power to pixel 12 V+ & 12V-

Keep the first pixel within 30" But as Marting commented.. .. .. 24" would be better.
    The diode thing is unrelated to the 12v. I did the diode thing because that article in the link as well as multiple people on here told me that it or something like a shifter would be needed due to the Wemos output being so low. Without it, I haven't tested it thinking if everyone is telling me something, I should probably listen lol.

The null pixel really doesn't bother me because I do it close to the Wemos inside the little waterproof box and it acts like a status light as well. shifter would be the same thing except having to run the 12v and 5v to it as reference voltages first I think

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter would be in the box with the WeMos and only needs the 5v from the WeMos. The output of the shifter is V- and Data. The shifter bumps the 3.3v signal up to the 5v used by the pixels (yes 12v pixels use 5v data). Only 2 (two) wires leave your box and it can easily be 20' (twenty feet) to the first pixel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast