Thread: Can I get away sticking two pixel strips back to back with their adhesive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I get away sticking two pixel strips back to back with their adhesive

Wondering if I can get away with removing the adhesive cover on the back of two pixel strips and have them push together back to back? I know there is copper pads visible on the underside as well, but it's almost like the adhesive coats it. Whether that is enough to insulate or avoid the signal crossing, I don't know. Even though the pixel strips are to be mirrored back to back inside pex pipe as icicles, I can't imagine it would be ideal to have stuff crossing over at the wrong spot if say they aren't perfectly squared. Asking because when I have them back to back freely and try sliding them in the pipe, they seem to catch a little due to the waterproofing coating and the return wire. Since they aren't exactly rigid, pushing them down just tends to have them bend and I know those things are pretty fragile. Sticking them together would give enough clearance and also hopefully prevent bunching or bending. The only other concern was if going back to back may be an issue with heat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I get away sticking two pixel strips back to back with their adhesive

heat is your primary issue.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I get away sticking two pixel strips back to back with their adhesive

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    heat is your primary issue.
    Sooooo.... That's a "no definitely not"? Or not ideal but ok? Either way, they will be back to back in a 1/2pex pipe which is pretty dang tight

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about diffusion issues, one strip will work fine in pex pipe.
    I had plain dumb RGB 5050 strips in 3/4" pex pipe (white) and it diffused very nicely, you could not see the individual LED's at all.
    I ran mine at 100% brightness.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    If you are worried about diffusion issues, one strip will work fine in pex pipe.
    I had plain dumb RGB 5050 strips in 3/4" pex pipe (white) and it diffused very nicely, you could not see the individual LED's at all.
    I ran mine at 100% brightness.
    I would agree depending on the application. I found the same thing with my pixel arches last year. However, this is for bwinters icicles which are 30 down each side. The jdea being to be able to see it from any side as it hangs Ina tree

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they're fine (unless you're planning to run them 100% white for extended periods of time). I've had 1,400 LEDs back-to-back for three years with no problem (24 icicles, 30 LEDs double-sided)--not to mention, getting banged around by the wind quite extensively, hanging in trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Yes, they're fine (unless you're planning to run them 100% white for extended periods of time). I've had 1,400 LEDs back-to-back for three years with no problem (24 icicles, 30 LEDs double-sided)--not to mention, getting banged around by the wind quite extensively, hanging in trees.
    Did you have the adhesive cover pulled off with them sticking to each other? Or just dangling loose? Because of the waterproofing bead on the top of both strips + the extra return wire, although they do fit in the 1/2" pex, the clearance is quite low when they aren't attached to each other, and the last 1/4 of the strip as I'm trying to slide it in starts to resist a bit and since they aren't rigid or stuck together to avoid any bending, it feels like I'm close to damaging them. All things being equal, the lesson learned for next time would be to go for bare strips and seal with shrink wrap, but I had already ordered and received the strip before I realized this. Does anyone know if the adhesive or anything else insulate the copper pads on the bottom of the strips at all? So that they wouldn't be making contact? They don't quite look like exposed bare copper to my eye

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I took the adhesive backing off, so the strips could stick together. No, I'm not using the strips with waterproof coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Sooooo.... That's a "no definitely not"? Or not ideal but ok? Either way, they will be back to back in a 1/2pex pipe which is pretty dang tight
    Its a "depends". Are these WS2811 3:1 strips? Then you should be fine. If they are Ws2812 or higher strips then you are in the "they might work for a while" zone.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q