Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I don't recall a thread related to this. Can you point me to it so I can make sure I am on the same page?
    There you be http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...5037-Need-help

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall a thread related to this. Can you point me to it so I can make sure I am on the same page?
    Let me know what it ended up being. Very curious

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this makes me wonder if it is something similar to what was posted on the green site by Dirknerkle. He was having all kinds of odd issues with trying to create the lock file and Vixen crashing. Turned out to be some setting in Win 10 that got turned on blocking access to the documents folder. Here is an excerpt from the post he provided with the solution. Maybe we should check this out as it seems similar in nature.

Windows 10 has a "controlled folder access" setting that, when turned on, really kills a lot of things, in particular, activity in/out of some default USERS folders, such as c:\users\username\Documents.

I'm not sure how it became enabled on my machine (probably a Windows update), but it was turned on. I turned it off, then reinstalled V3 and.... it ran.... Here's the sequence to change the setting:

1. Open Windows 10 Settings (the gear)
    2. In the search box, type "Controlled folder access." Give it a few moments to find the setting.
    3. Turn it off. The effect is immediate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this makes me wonder if it is something similar to what was posted on the green site by Dirknerkle. He was having all kinds of odd issues with trying to create the lock file and Vixen crashing. Turned out to be some setting in Win 10 that got turned on blocking access to the documents folder. Here is an excerpt from the post he provided with the solution. Maybe we should check this out as it seems similar in nature.

Windows 10 has a "controlled folder access" setting that, when turned on, really kills a lot of things, in particular, activity in/out of some default USERS folders, such as c:\users\username\Documents.

I'm not sure how it became enabled on my machine (probably a Windows update), but it was turned on. I turned it off, then reinstalled V3 and.... it ran.... Here's the sequence to change the setting:

2. In the search box, type "Controlled folder access." Give it a few moments to find the setting.
    Lamar and I have a session set for up for 9/29. We will try this first.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Lamar and I have a session set for up for 9/29. We will try this first.

Martin, did you notice painfully slow connection or hanging when you were connected? It was being difficult when I tried to help him out, but we had to use chrome remote desktop because teamviewer keeps thinking I'm trying to use it commercially despite absolutely not being the case

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this helps at all Jeff or Martin, but the issue originally reported was that his pc crashed and he had to restore to an earlier date to get back into it. At this point, this is when he stopped being able to use it at all. Another thing worth mentioning: His profile folder seemed unusually large. Never got a chance to check if that may be due to giant logs or content.

LAMAR: Listen to Martin and Jeff. Martin absolutely knows his stuff inside and out. And Jeff....well yeah...he helps actually make Vixen. They will get you up and running one way or another

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Martin, did you notice painfully slow connection or hanging when you were connected? It was being difficult when I tried to help him out, but we had to use chrome remote desktop because teamviewer keeps thinking I'm trying to use it commercially despite absolutely not being the case
    I use skype (I refuse to personally be able to modify someone's computer). The connection was fine until we set up google drive. There seemed to be a huge amount of data getting moved. I looked at Lamar's Vixen dir and it looks like there are multiple copies of the media, sequence and other directories spread about. This is resulting in a LARGE data set. I am not willing to pare it down until we figure out what is going on and which data sets have the best flavor of data.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I use skype (I refuse to personally be able to modify someone's computer). The connection was fine until we set up google drive. There seemed to be a huge amount of data getting moved. I looked at Lamar's Vixen dir and it looks like there are multiple copies of the media, sequence and other directories spread about. This is resulting in a LARGE data set. I am not willing to pare it down until we figure out what is going on and which data sets have the best flavor of data.

Yeah I had a really hard time figuring out which profile was which. There was a bunch of profile folders that were only somehow like 30kb. As someone who literally spends 9+ hours a day modifying professional people's computers and servers, there is a simple solution to your concern Martin....Copy and paste lol! Whenever I am modifying or doing something to a folder or file on a client machine, I duplicate the folder or file and set it apart from that path, at least temporarily. Even a large file. If everything works out fine, great, you can delete the duplicate a few minutes later. I'm talking just copy and paste the source, not a full backup of a drive or anything. That and sometimes, especially if it's a system file or something to do with config or software....anything that could potentially change or break something, nothing like a restore point for that extra peace of mind

I did wonder if the size of the source could have anything to do with it. I've seen software generate giant logs that swell it up massively as well. But I expect you guys will figure it out pretty quick

Post Thanks / Like

Messed up profile folders could certainly cause odd behaviors. If it is crashing there should be info in the log folders assuming it can write to them. The permission thing I mentioned above should be verified first to ensure it can write to the profile folders. Then investigate the nature of the profile by inspection and or using the log files to guide the reason for a crash.

Post Thanks / Like

This is and was off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast