Thread: Wled and vixen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wled and vixen?

I kept hearing people refer to wled and praising it, so I tossed on to a Wemos d1 mini and attached it to a mini tree. I must say, I'm really really digging the effects they have built in. Both the quality and quantity of their named effects. Especially considering the fact that it doesn't even have a reference really to the layout other than number of pixels.

Currently using a mix of wireless sticks with the forkineye firmware and a San devices e682 for control with vixen. To my knowledge, there isn't really a way to import custom effects, but I wondered if there is any way to get some of the wled effects to trigger from vixen somehow? I saw some references to using with xlights, so I figured there must be some kind of possibility. Or if there is a way to use some of the effects directly? Sorry, I'm absolutely clueless about this area. Does wled have the ability to stream e131 like the pixel stick firmware?

If there was a way to directly use them natively, even though I doubt it, that would ideal for use in existing sequences. But my guess is that if it actually does work, it would probably be through some external device control the same way DMX or "other" can be setup in vixen. I've never actually seen anyone set that up or use it before, although you hear about it.

Trying to use some of their effects is the goal, but the segments and saved custom presets for effects are two of the features I want most in vixen. Well that and possibly 3d /z axis integration, but there's already traces of that.

Man, I don't know what has gotten into me this year, but it's like I decided "hey, what are the hardest or most time consuming things I haven't done yet" and then decided to challenge myself by taking them all on in the preseason lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wled and vixen?

WLED is an E1.31 capable firmware . It uses Shelby's EspAsyncE1.31 code , but uses a modified callback . It is great for effects etc .But not as reliable as the ESPixelStick for E1.31 .

Post Thanks / Like

We use E1.31 streaming because that is a good way to keep everything in sync. If you try to trigger stored effects in a remote device then they all run independently and the overall effect on your show is quite sloppy. The ESPixelStick also has stored effects, but they cannot be triggered as part of a show. The effects as generated by Vixen are in sync across your entire show.

You can ask the Vixen team if they would like to add support for triggering events in WLED.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I've literally only just been playing with it on the app so far, so haven't had a deep dive on the rest of it. But those are all valid points. Thinking about what it would take to try to rebuild some of the unique effects in vixen.... Just the way that vixen actually works and sequences, possible, but it would take a sizeable amount of fussing, and I can foresee the ones that would be worth doing would need to be redone or altered for different props. For example, unless you have a native vixen effect that targets specific areas selectively, which is to say most of the pixel ones, to replicate one selective location wled effect you would have to have every area of that prop defined. It would be mind boggling to manually mark every pixel one by one over the life of the effect. So even if you wanted to create groups of sections to apply to, you would still need to go quite deep in the hierarchy to define them all.

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves , Someone did use a e1.31 sketch and trigger effects from within . You could do the same and it should work regardless of sequencer .
    Most of the effects within WLED I believe are either from Fastled or Ws2812FX resources.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    If memory serves , Someone did use a e1.31 sketch and trigger effects from within . You could do the same and it should work regardless of sequencer .
    Most of the effects within WLED I believe are either from Fastled or Ws2812FX resources.
    Was that someone you Angus? Lol. Any idea who did so or if that was posted online? And if what you say is true, I wouldn't necessarily need wled at all. If there was a way to use or import fasted or ws2812fx with vixen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Was that someone you Angus? Lol. Any idea who did so or if that was posted online? And if what you say is true, I wouldn't necessarily need wled at all. If there was a way to use or import fasted or ws2812fx with vixen.
    Nope , not me . Though the usual suspects were involved !!!!

Try this thread

Post Thanks / Like

The only downside to triggering canned effects is that they will not sync . Not a big deal breaker though if used creatively .
    An example would be to use the canned effect as a background effect or a cascading effect that just runs wild alongside the synced
    show stopper effects .
    Last edited by angus40; 09-18-2020 at 08:49 PM.