Thread: Shelby's Esp Pixel code ,multiple gpio & number of pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shelby's Esp Pixel code ,multiple gpio & number of pixels

I have always stayed under the Universe- pixel limit when defining these sketches , but the question has come up as to how the Universe/channels
    would work with 2 gpio for example sake.

If the sketch was for say 2 gpio configured for 8 Universes starting at Universe#1 , is it possible to divide the total Universe count over the 2 gpio?

How would this look like in definition with say 2 x 300 pixels ?

Data_pin 1 .... Universe 1..... pixels 300 ......chanStart 1
    Data_Pin 2...... Universe 5...... pixels 300 ..... chanStart 1

Has anyone tested this or know for certain if it will work ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shelby's Esp Pixel code ,multiple gpio & number of pixels

in my implementation i stack the channeles in a contiuous list. the port 1 takes the first n channels. port 2 picks up at the next channel. none of that nonsense of binding universes to ports.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unsure about binding Universe to a Port but I do know that there has to be a starting # to reference .
    As you are aware , the ESPAsync1.31 needs the 2 Universe variables 1 for start and 1 for amount of .

Still the question stands . Do the variables consider ports at all ?
    Or will the Universe count auto sequence from a defined single port only ?
    Worst case I guess I can build a test setup .
    Just that I am busy with other stuff and wanted to avoid a tear down to do e131 and pixel stuff right now .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I'm unsure about binding Universe to a Port but I do know that there has to be a starting # to reference .
    As you are aware , the ESPAsync1.31 needs the 2 Universe variables 1 for start and 1 for amount of .
    Yes. In my multiport implementation the E1.31 layer is given the aggregate channel count for all the output ports. Starting Universe and initial channel offset is not associated with a port, it is an input channel parameter.

Still the question stands . Do the variables consider ports at all ?
    Or will the Universe count auto sequence from a defined single port only ?
    Starting universe and total channels is all you need. The E1.31 layer has no idea what the data is used for.

Worst case I guess I can build a test setup .
    Just that I am busy with other stuff and wanted to avoid a tear down to do e131 and pixel stuff right now .
    This is running in the ESPixelstick unity branch on my github https://github.com/MartinMueller2003...ick/tree/unify

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your detailed reply Martin

Been busy with a Wemos RGB controller setup for personal usage all the while while wanting to get at the ESP32 for play !

Post Thanks / Like

Martin, are you taking over ESPixelstick firmware, assisting with next version, forking the project?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Martin, are you taking over ESPixelstick firmware, assisting with next version, forking the project?
    I've just been helping out. I wanted to port the code to the ESP32 platform, Shelby asked me to make my changes in the Unify branch. That meant I had to get the Unify branch working. It is now working and my desired changes for the ESP32 are in place. I am currently integrating and testing my changes. While I was working on this, Dan Kulp helped improve our integration with the FPP. If you purchase an ESP with enough IO to support an SD card (or something like the LoLin ESP32 pro with an SD card socket built in) then you can put an FSEQ image on the ESP and it will play as an FPP remote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    ... an ESP with enough IO to support an SD card ... then you can put an FSEQ image on the ESP and it will play as an FPP remote.
    I have an ESPixelStick v3, which uses the Wemos D1 and has the SD card holder. Are you saying the Unity branch already has support for this? Is this only for ESP32, or would the ESPixelStick v3 w/ Wemos D1 be sufficient?

VERY exciting news!

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a d1 as my test platform. Shelby took a snapshot of my code two days ago and that version plays files from the sd card. ther are still some issues to be resolved but it is basically working.

Post Thanks / Like

just ordered a bunch of SD Card expansion boards to add to my existing D1's. can't wait to try them as FPP Remotes. Just getting my First Pi set up now with FPP