Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best way to mount leds onto pvc pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: best way to mount leds onto pvc pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    I have encountered this problem too (I use 3D printed clips). If you add a pixel the centre is blank and the pixels fall adjacent to the tee. This is harder to do with Chromatrim since the pixel spacing is fixed but the same principle applies, start at the middle, align the adjacent pixels and move outward to the end points.
    The only issue with that approach is that I'm trying my best to have a pixel perfectly in each corner of the window frame ... which I accomplished but didn't realize the middle pixel falls perfectly on a tee. Perhaps I shouldn't try to be a perfectionist and just play with the pixel spacing. I doubt anyone would notice most are 3 in spacing but some are 2 or 4 in to account for the need to not fall perfectly on the tee.

I'll probably try drilling out a spare tee first to see how that goes. If it blows up, I'll play around with the pixel spacing.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think uneven pixel spacing will be noticeable unless you’re only talking 1/2” or less. If you’re going to drill pvc make sure you use a step drill. A twist drill will not work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

pvc drill sm.jpg

drill fixture sm.jpg

I use 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC.
    I drill all the way through using a 12mm forstner bit. Using this non fancy schmantzy, low tech, made from scrap plywood and an old 1/2 in dowel rod, drill fixture.
    Then I come back and redrill the backside using a 1/2 in standard bit.
    Holds a 12mm bullet pixel perfectly without any fasteners.
    Works great! The only thing you have to pay attention to is to make sure the hole pattern doesn't start to swirl on you. So I draw a straight line accross the entire length of the pipe before I start drilling and make sure I follow the line.

Here is my show. Made almost entirely of drilled PVC. I drilled over 3400 holes this way using a small drill press I picked up at a yardsale for 15 bucks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bcOqwF7bk

Post Thanks / Like

You could shave down the side of the T. I'm pretty sure it would still provide the support you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

notched tee.jpg
    I actually take a grinder and notch out my Tee's to maintain my 2 1/4 inch spacing.
    I probably should have taken a picture of one that didnt have so much material removed. This one has been a little bit over ground
    But it still holds together fine with a couple of tie wraps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TSL View Post
    Personally I think uneven pixel spacing will be noticeable unless you’re only talking 1/2” or less. If you’re going to drill pvc make sure you use a step drill. A twist drill will not work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ended up drilling through the tee and it worked perfectly. This allowed me to keep the vertical PVC in line with the mullion of the window where I put two homemade PVC clips that are hot glued on. Seems to have worked perfectly.

Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123