Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super nervous about 2020 show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super nervous about 2020 show

Quote Originally Posted by nayrma View Post
    I've seen many trees that are on a stand. Is this personal preference or a good reason why people don't stake to the ground? I have planned to stake to the ground but have been having some second thoughts

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Proper way is to stake it to the ground. I believe I had two guy wires running from the top out the back and was counting on the weight in the front to hold it.

My dogs always run through the yard and smack into them so I try to limit how many anchors I need. I'll be pouring a base for my P5 sign so might as well pour a mega tree base too. The hope is that it's just a hole in the ground that I can PVC cap for the off season below the grass height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by th182 View Post
    Proper way is to stake it to the ground. I believe I had two guy wires running from the top out the back and was counting on the weight in the front to hold it.

My dogs always run through the yard and smack into them so I try to limit how many anchors I need. I'll be pouring a base for my P5 sign so might as well pour a mega tree base too. The hope is that it's just a hole in the ground that I can PVC cap for the off season below the grass height.

Got the hole just needs good stakes ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post

Got the hole just needs good stakes ?

Post #9 in the above post I liked to has some good photos and explanation of how most do it. 3-4 lines from the top out to the ground and staked in all around to keep the top from swaying and blowing over.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen many trees that are on a stand. Is this personal preference or a good reason why people don't stake to the ground? I have planned to stake to the ground but have been having some second thoughts

I stake mine to the ground and it works fine. I have 3 guy wires to help support the pole. If it gets windy and the ground is wet sometimes the stakes come lose, I just go out and adjust them when I notice the stips are moving more than they should. This is my 4th year using this method and I keep debating about building a frame just so I have a more uniform spacing instead of just eyeballing it.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sctwohig View Post
    I stake mine to the ground and it works fine. I have 3 guy wires to help support the pole. If it gets windy and the ground is wet sometimes the stakes come lose, I just go out and adjust them when I notice the stips are moving more than they should. This is my 4th year using this method and I keep debating about building a frame just so I have a more uniform spacing instead of just eyeballing it.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Ditto for my mega tree. Strips to the ground and tent stakes in the ground with zip ties through the MISR clips. 3 guy wires about 2/3 way up. My base has been outdoor plywood with 2x4 with hole in it. Thinking I will do something different this year as after 5 years it is showing its age. But I like being able to adjust the base independent of the guy wires.

Post Thanks / Like

What really has me is that we are inviting the neighbors out to see. So far it's been running and if you happened to notice you could watch but this year we are "marketing". I'm sure it'll be fine

Last year my daughters decided to help me out by putting me onto some web thing that announces we have a special Christmas light show. They also made sure to tell friends at work to stop by on specific days. I even got to make special messages for a couple people so when they parked to watch the show a personalized message popped onto the matrix for their family.

Yeah, don't "help" me by advertising -- that really adds to the pressure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123