Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with a New Prop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Problems with a New Prop

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Jerky sounds more like a network issue. Things not displaying right is usually a patching issue.

Are you using unicast or multicast?
    Is your network quiet or noisy?
    Is the player connected to the wired interface on your AP?
    I am going to try to move the pixelstick in relation to my AP and see if it improves the jerkiness. I am testing in my workshop and there are some obstructions between the AP and the ESP module.

I am using Multicast
    Network should be quiet. It is just a RPi with the Ubiquiti Nano Loco M2 connected right to it.
    So Yes, the player is connected to the wired interface on my AP.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

How much other Wifi traffic is there around you? Because the ESP runs at 2Ghz there are only 3 channels that can be used. If there is a lot of 2Ghz Wifi around you that could be contributing to the lag. You can use the Loco M2 to analyze the traffic around you and pick a less used channel. My experience is that the Loco M2 does not always pick the best channel on startup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    How much other Wifi traffic is there around you? Because the ESP runs at 2Ghz there are only 3 channels that can be used. If there is a lot of 2Ghz Wifi around you that could be contributing to the lag. You can use the Loco M2 to analyze the traffic around you and pick a less used channel. My experience is that the Loco M2 does not always pick the best channel on startup.
    Thank you for the suggestions, I hope to work more on this issue over the weekend.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Hi Barnaby,

Here is what I have on the stick at the moment:
    E1.31 Status
    Universe Range 50 to 53
    Total Packets 3237
    Sequence Errors 378
    Packet Errors 0
    Source IP 192.168.73.115

I will do some more testing tomorrow.

Hi Tom, it’s while since I looked into this – someone may confirm or correct the following (please do).

Three values of importance are reported. It makes sense when you think about it, why report values that are not important.

Total Packets: The number of packets that where received during the period.

Sequence Errors: There is a value in the packet header (that we never see) that increments each time a packet is sent. This value is specific to each universe. So, the first packet sent out on universe 50 will have a packet number of 0, the second 1, you get the idea. This runs up to 255 and then resets back to 0. From this the receiver of the packets can determine, if the packet has been received out of sequence e.g.

Expected packet reception:
    1_2_3_4_5.

Out of sequence packet reception:
    1_2___435.

For some reason packet number 3 was delayed and arrived at the ESPixelStick after packet number 4.
    This would be recorded as a ‘Sequence error’.

On a side note: this causes a ‘stutter’ in the display of that universe, as packet 3 is never displayed. The display pauses at the packet 2 value for 2 time periods and then displays the values of packet 4. When packet 3 finally turns up (with a good excuse for why its late – lol) it is discarded as since packet 4 showed up and it is obsolete.

The second reason a sequence error may be recorded is that in the above example packet 3 never turns up.

Packet error: My understanding of this and I might be wrong is that something in the packet doesn’t ‘add up’. There is another value in the packet header that we never see that states how many channels there are in the packet. If the packet gets cut short this would be recorded as an error. But you don’t have any of those, so I won’t dwell on that.

After that waffle, to the point:

The report listed 3227 Total Packets and 378 Sequence Errors, give or take that’s about 10%. As explained above that means that at any one or all of the 4 universes have a 10% chance of displaying ‘old’ data’. This could be in the form of all universes ‘lagging’ or just some of them whilst others update as expected.

If you split your problem down into 3 areas to investigate:

Hardware.
    Software.
    WiFi / network.

I’d be inclined to look at the WiFi / network side of things.

Sorry for the long answer but I hope it give some insight as to what may be happening.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 09-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Could some other people with a 3-4 universe prop using espixelstick post their stats please? I seem to remember from other posts that the sequence errors have been in that area for others. I don't remember how the espixelstick firmware treats sequence errors but what Barnabybear said makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

BB was pretty close. The only exception is the sequence number of zero is special. A zero indicates no sequence checking is to be performed. Late packets are discarded, which will look like a stutter. Losing 10% of your traffic is actually not real bad for a WiFi system (not great either).

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12