Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Nutrocker Sequence

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Nutrocker Sequence

Let me know what you guys think! Having trouble running the sequence on my lower powered laptop, especially at 2:15 with the whole house colorwash. Wonder if there is a way to preprocess the sequence?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Nutrocker Sequence

How low powered is the laptop? The light count is not very high and well under what should work on anything that will run Win 10. Check your performance settings on the laptop and ensure it is set to the performance setting vs battery saving. It does look like the update rate is set to 25ms which requires better hardware to keep up so you could set that back to the more normal 50ms. Are you outputting to the controllers while sequencing? You can turn the controllers off if not visualizing it to real lights and that will help as well.

Otherwise the sequence looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Run FPP and forget about the laptop.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vuzin View Post
    Let me know what you guys think! Having trouble running the sequence on my lower powered laptop, especially at 2:15 with the whole house colorwash. Wonder if there is a way to preprocess the sequence?

First, Congratulations on taking on this song!!! I feel you. Including yours, I think I've only heard of maybe 2 other people who did this song for the light show (although that's just what I've come across). I did this one a few years ago, and it remains the most time consuming, technical sequence I've attempted. That would be my own fault however, because I decided I wanted to pretty much transcribe the solo's to my columns and that took probably a few weeks of constant super slow mo sequencing.

Second: Definitely like where you are going with the sequence. The only issue I had in terms of checking it out, was that because the house background is full brightness, it was really difficult to make out some of the effects unless I was looking at that specific area during fast sequence passages. Nothing to do with the actual sequence, but I would love to see that with the background dimmed slightly so we could take in the full breadth of the sequence.

Third, and approaching this as someone who works in IT for a day job: You said you are "having trouble running the sequence" on the lower powered laptop. Could you specify the specs of said laptop? Lower powered means very different things to different people. On that note, could you explain specifically what the symptoms or problems are in running the sequence? Is it stuttering? hanging? falling behind, crashing? etc..... Jeff is absolutely correct about putting it into high performance mode from the control panel power profile settings, NOT the bs windows 10 "easy mode" power settings. There's of course the standard best practices if you are concerned about the pc handling a resource dependent software, like making sure that every non necessary program and non windows service is stopped or closed, checking task manager and seeing what is eating up resources, making sure updates are up to date, fresh reboot before starting Vixen, making sure your hard drive isn't almost out of space etc.... Those little things may seem inconsequential on their own, but once added up, especially if you are on a low powered laptop, it could make quite the difference.

To give you an example, I ran this sequence, my version of the nutrocker on a laptop that was considered middle-low end when purchased I think 8-9 years ago, that takes almost 10 minutes to boot and probably another 10 before it's actually done loading stuff and I've got vixen open and ready. Once I started the show, it would pre process the sequence and playback. I was running part of it through a direct wired controller, and part of it through wemos d1 mini boards setup like pixel sticks for wifi wireless transmission from a router. I didn't encounter stuttering or dropped sections during the live show or playback following the kinds of tips I listed above. The solo section from about 2:00 to 3:15 was easily the most time consuming to program but also I would think most likely to have issues with lower powered laptop because of the amount of "notes" and the speed it's jumping around at. Please note: the video posted is NOT the finished sequence. The only video I had of it was a partially complete test sequence I recorded in 2018, but it serves it's purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    First, Congratulations on taking on this song!!! I feel you. Including yours, I think I've only heard of maybe 2 other people who did this song for the light show (although that's just what I've come across). I did this one a few years ago, and it remains the most time consuming, technical sequence I've attempted. That would be my own fault however, because I decided I wanted to pretty much transcribe the solo's to my columns and that took probably a few weeks of constant super slow mo sequencing.

Second: Definitely like where you are going with the sequence. The only issue I had in terms of checking it out, was that because the house background is full brightness, it was really difficult to make out some of the effects unless I was looking at that specific area during fast sequence passages. Nothing to do with the actual sequence, but I would love to see that with the background dimmed slightly so we could take in the full breadth of the sequence.

Third, and approaching this as someone who works in IT for a day job: You said you are "having trouble running the sequence" on the lower powered laptop. Could you specify the specs of said laptop? Lower powered means very different things to different people. On that note, could you explain specifically what the symptoms or problems are in running the sequence? Is it stuttering? hanging? falling behind, crashing? etc..... Jeff is absolutely correct about putting it into high performance mode from the control panel power profile settings, NOT the bs windows 10 "easy mode" power settings. There's of course the standard best practices if you are concerned about the pc handling a resource dependent software, like making sure that every non necessary program and non windows service is stopped or closed, checking task manager and seeing what is eating up resources, making sure updates are up to date, fresh reboot before starting Vixen, making sure your hard drive isn't almost out of space etc.... Those little things may seem inconsequential on their own, but once added up, especially if you are on a low powered laptop, it could make quite the difference.

To give you an example, I ran this sequence, my version of the nutrocker on a laptop that was considered middle-low end when purchased I think 8-9 years ago, that takes almost 10 minutes to boot and probably another 10 before it's actually done loading stuff and I've got vixen open and ready. Once I started the show, it would pre process the sequence and playback. I was running part of it through a direct wired controller, and part of it through wemos d1 mini boards setup like pixel sticks for wifi wireless transmission from a router. I didn't encounter stuttering or dropped sections during the live show or playback following the kinds of tips I listed above. The solo section from about 2:00 to 3:15 was easily the most time consuming to program but also I would think most likely to have issues with lower powered laptop because of the amount of "notes" and the speed it's jumping around at. Please note: the video posted is NOT the finished sequence. The only video I had of it was a partially complete test sequence I recorded in 2018, but it serves it's purpose.

Wow thanks for all the feedback! :D I'll definitely lower the brightness on the house lights that's a great idea! I definitely have the same problem as you where you transcribe the entire sequence lol. I would even translate each mini tree to a specific note. I feel like I need every instrument animated . The solos took me forever because of this and I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to take them. Definitely need to work on the ending though I just don't want to transcribe that entire guitar solo.

The laptop I'd been running would be a Lenovo Yoga 11e which is powered by a celeron so it makes sense that it has trouble with the sequence. What happens is it stutters right as the house lights go into the full colorwash. We have to keep the computer in the garage so that's why we run it off the laptop. Even on my old desktop with an Athlon 860K it would slightly stutter. FPP looks intriguing however, might look into that.

I have the timing set to 25ms because if I don't it feels "laggy" to me and the lights look smoother at 25ms with all the fast paced effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for all the feedback! :D I'll definitely lower the brightness on the house lights that's a great idea! I definitely have the same problem as you where you transcribe the entire sequence lol. I would even translate each mini tree to a specific note. I feel like I need every instrument animated . The solos took me forever because of this and I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to take them. Definitely need to work on the ending though I just don't want to transcribe that entire guitar solo.

The laptop I'd been running would be a Lenovo Yoga 11e which is powered by a celeron so it makes sense that it has trouble with the sequence. What happens is it stutters right as the house lights go into the full colorwash. We have to keep the computer in the garage so that's why we run it off the laptop. Even on my old desktop with an Athlon 860K it would slightly stutter. FPP looks intriguing however, might look into that.

I have the timing set to 25ms because if I don't it feels "laggy" to me and the lights look smoother at 25ms with all the fast paced effects.
    You must be my spirit animal or brother from another mother! Lol. I've tried and tried to force myself NOT to end up transcribing instruments with my sequences, to go to more general area of effect fx, and everytime, I start to slowly wander back. If you can, please re record the playback with your house background dimmed. I would very much like to see it properly and fully. Fpp is an option, but you would need the additional hardware. The reason I don't use it, is because I often tinker or adjust after testing and viewing sequences live, or run tests and various things. I want to be able to have instant control without having to go manually pull out SD cards and export and load etc... Or even just have to export and transfer for every thing since I think you can do OTA updates now. Is it just the one color wash effect giving you trouble? Is it just in the playback of the preview? Obviously you probably haven't put up the display yet to test it.

VIXEN dev team: what say you about what he's running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    You must be my spirit animal or brother from another mother! Lol. I've tried and tried to force myself NOT to end up transcribing instruments with my sequences, to go to more general area of effect fx, and everytime, I start to slowly wander back. If you can, please re record the playback with your house background dimmed. I would very much like to see it properly and fully. Fpp is an option, but you would need the additional hardware. The reason I don't use it, is because I often tinker or adjust after testing and viewing sequences live, or run tests and various things. I want to be able to have instant control without having to go manually pull out SD cards and export and load etc... Or even just have to export and transfer for every thing since I think you can do OTA updates now. Is it just the one color wash effect giving you trouble? Is it just in the playback of the preview? Obviously you probably haven't put up the display yet to test it.

VIXEN dev team: what say you about what he's running?
    I see, I have plenty of RPI's around to test it out, got an rpi 4 sitting in front of me actually. I do the same thing as you, but I don't like the general effects as to me it seems lazy as if I'm getting away with something. I also upgraded to pixel lights 3 years ago so I'm using pixel effects to highlight how I traditionally do incandescent effects.

Do you have a specific area where the house lights are an issue? The only issue I have with dimming the house lights is I use them to emphasize parts with the brightness in certain locations.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several generations of that laptop out there, so would probably need more info on which one and what its actual specs are. I would certainly check the performance settings on it. The majority of the time laptops are configured to save battery in trade for performance. Based on the light count in the preview, 2400 lights if they are all pixels is less than 7500 channels which should not be an issue on anything that will run Win 10 effectively. Otherwise I would have to see the profile to see if there is anything odd with the configuration.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to send the profile to you?
    Edit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JI...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Vuzin; 09-03-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I see, I have plenty of RPI's around to test it out, got an rpi 4 sitting in front of me actually. I do the same thing as you, but I don't like the general effects as to me it seems lazy as if I'm getting away with something. I also upgraded to pixel lights 3 years ago so I'm using pixel effects to highlight how I traditionally do incandescent effects.

Do you have a specific area where the house lights are an issue? The only issue I have with dimming the house lights is I use them to emphasize parts with the brightness in certain locations.

Oh...just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, all I meant was to temporarily turn the brightness down on the background picture of the house in the preview just to record the playback of the preview, then you can put it back up of course. It's entirely up to you, you don't have to do it. You don't even have to dim it as much as I did, but I was trying to emulate night, and also, I make use of the dimming curves quite a bit, so I was having trouble making out the subtle changes when I was viewing my preview. You would just go into the preview configuration window and move the background slider left, save it, record playback, then move it back up. You only really need to see kind of the shape or layout of the house. That will allow your sequence to stand out. It wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on your actual sequence or how it plays. It's just for contrast on the screen capture. I didn't have any "issues" with any specific area. But what I found was that some of the brighter lit areas you could see there was an effect going, but it wasn't super clear. During the actual sequence playback, none of this makes any difference of course. I like how you were using the shrubs in the front for your fast scale like passages.

I apparently am a glutton for punishment, because I started doing Daft Punk by Pentatonix, and of course being acapella group and my tendency to transcribe "notes", I just realized there is basically 5 different voices all going at once doing something different sigh.

I'm the same way, I am full pixels the last few years, and exactly! It feels like I'm being lazy or half assing it when I just do general AOE. But the reality is that's not the case, even if we feel that way lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast