Thread: Update existing sequence with new layout

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update existing sequence with new layout

Hello - I'm using xLights and I am adding some new lights this season. I made the change to the layout and can create new sequences with the new lights. Is there a way to update old sequences so they can see the new lights also? It would save me some time, if I don't have to recreate them with the new layout.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Update existing sequence with new layout

Oh man, you brought back memories...not great ones lol. I've had to do that every year. Taking existing sequences that have to then be modified for a change in layout, additions and/or a change in config for the prop itself. To the point where I then have to alter sequences item by item because certain effects work completely differently after the change in config/layout. Wish I could give you technical advice on this front, but I can't do so with Xlights, only Vixen. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Two things.

One, if you just added stuff, did you start with your existing layout? So, then just open the old sequences and do the new props. (You did create a new folder and copy over last year's stuff for this year's show, right?)

Two, if you changed your whole layout, use the import feature and map your old and new props appropriately. Once you have the map created and saved, you can run each old sequence through the mapper very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I have copied my sequences to a 2020 folder and was able to add the new lights using the Display Elements window (View -> Windows -> Display Elements). This is only my second year and I still have a lot to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Even when I have copied the folder, I always seem to forget that I renamed something to make the new layout description better so then the models do not match. I've alsways found it best to just import the old sequences into the new layout. You only have to do spend time once to create a mapping file which you save and then reuse. Only takes a couple of minutes to move each old sequence to the new layout.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga