Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Injection Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Power Injection Help

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    In my recent experiences, things seem to be back to normal as far as shipping from China is concerned. I've ordered from AliExpress, Banggood and JLCPCB and all have been pretty fast. I'm sure a lot of that also depends on which shipping option you choose to use.
    I have had same problem as MrGrumpy with shipments taking extra extra long.....only exception is if you use Couriers like DHL, for aliexpress standard shipping it is out 90 days usually. Something has changed in past few months and it is affecting most things using free shipping/aliexpress standard shipping.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Here is a 10 page thread on the same issue you are having , it does not appear that it was resolved -> injection
    Of course angus40 is making an example out of me lol. @angus37, that thread he referenced was mine. Not only did we have the same issue.... We have the same pixels! Literally! That whole thread was about the 5v ray wu "promo pixels" on sale (ps: they are always on promo or on sale lol). Also basically same specs on power supply AND I ended up having to resolve it with a branching type of power injection setup. Oh, I ALSO was using 14 awg Injection wire. You have no idea the flashbacks I'm having reading this. Where on paper it SHOULD work, and yet...

#1) They are advertised as 24awg. Although Ray is a reliable guy, you should take this claim with a grain of salt. It's the Ali Express factor probably doing a little embellishment. I don't think those are his. I get the sense he got a big lot for cheap for resell because they are just so different in quality than anything else I've gotten from him. Often when I splicing wires, it looked like there was only about 4-6 tiny strands, and I believe we ascertained that the cross section on it didn't match 24awg. The insulation does, the amount of wire inside not so much.

#2) Toss out your calculations for how often you have to inject. For me last year, I had to inject so much it wasn't even funny. Part of the reason it took me so long to resolve the issues, was because even though I was injecting at less distance than what I should supposedly be able to get away with, it still wasn't enough. And because I thought that couldn't possibly be the issue based on the math, I wasted so so many nights in the cold because I assumed. I think in the end, I was basically injecting every 25-35 pixels depending on the string.

I also some wonky strings where I thought it must be power based on the symptoms, but it turned out a bad pixel or bad internal pixel connection and at least in one case a reversed wire on my part due to the confusion with so many wires.

As to your issue, like what has been mentioned, how long is the furthest point from your psu to a string?

Post Thanks / Like

For my 5v short run strings (smaller props etc), I inject every 25 pixels. I inject the entire string from the PSU so I do not cut the V+ on those strings.

For long run props (eves, arches) I inject every 25 pixels and cut at the 12/13 pixel point and drive them with a buck converter. Each buck converter is driving 25 pixels and the longest distance from injection to last pixel is 13 * 3".

Yes throw out the calculations. They are a good starting point but they will not be your end point. In general you need to inject twice as often as the calculations say. OR you need to turn down the power consumption as many have mentioned in other threads.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

@XmasinVancouver and @MartinMueller2003, do you have any pictures of what you have done? From what you have shared I believe my work is closest to what yo have done and I am interested in seeing it.

Regarding power injection at some interval other than at the beginning of a string - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this because the beginning of the string has the two additional power connections, but you don't have that in the middle. Are you separating the +V and GND lines and keeping the data line intact? I'm just trying to visualize this.

Post Thanks / Like

i cut all three at pixel 25. solder in a 3" extension, solder in the pwr injection. rinse repeat at 50,75,100 etc

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus37 View Post
    @XmasinVancouver and @MartinMueller2003, do you have any pictures of what you have done? From what you have shared I believe my work is closest to what yo have done and I am interested in seeing it.

Regarding power injection at some interval other than at the beginning of a string - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this because the beginning of the string has the two additional power connections, but you don't have that in the middle. Are you separating the +V and GND lines and keeping the data line intact? I'm just trying to visualize this.
    You absolutely CAN just splice the v+ and ground at your injection points, and leave the data line untouched. Particularly if you just want to tap the power in without further disruption to the pixel string. It all depends on your method of injection. If you were going to want to use the 3 way pig tail tees so that you can just screw in the power connection and remove it at will, you would obviously be having to cut through all the wires to splice that in. If you just want to tap the power in, you can just expose the wire and splice in, or you could use the Tee tap connectors where you just close a fitting on the wire and it taps into the power feed without having to cut anything or strip wire/seal etc... Or Martin's method, the list goes on and on honestly. To answer your main question, you can leave the data alone, or cut them all based on the chosen method. The best way to think about the mid way power injection is let's say those 50 pixels were a bathtub, and the injection is like a faucet located dead center of the tub. When you turn on the water, does it fill only one side? No, it flows both ways. By tapping halfway, you are providing the same power to the 25 on each side concurrently as if you were only powering a string of 25 if you went from the start. The difference is that the second 25 is equally powered instead of being 25 pixels away before starting with voltage drop factors.

My advice to you, is what I wish I did last year.... Test before! Test it with the pixels and add power injection points as needed until you get the performance you want. Also, as previously stated, and a BIG help with these particular pixels is turn down the Max output power/brightness. 100% pixels is honestly truly blinding. Even 40-60% reduction it will still be bright enough and substantial.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123