Thread: pixel2things with Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default pixel2things with Vixen

I was watching a bit of the Virtual Christmas Summit videos online and saw the Animatronics presentation. Pixel2things looked like a different way I could use to animate some of my Halloween and Christmas props. I currently use an arduino with an ethernet shield and relays. So I am looking at purchasing the pixel2things board but everything on youtube and instructions is for Xlights.

Has anybody used this successfully with Vixen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pixel2things with Vixen

For vixen this is pretty simple. The pixel2things boards are simply replacing the Renard or Serial protocols by integrating the AC channels into the pixel channels. In vixen you have an E1.31 controller defined that has a bunch of pixels patched to it. Lets say you purchased the 9 channel pixel2things board and you added it to the end of a string. Create your regular AC style prop and assign nine channel from your prop to the end of the data stream going to the E1.31 based controller. Add the board to the end of your chain of pixels and hook up your AC lights.

The above makes it sound simple and it is. However, if your string that has the board is not the last string on your controller then you will need to patch the nine channels into the correct location in your E1.31 definition. This can get a bit tricky but is not "difficult".

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q