Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charming from laptop to Raspberry Pi

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charming from laptop to Raspberry Pi

These also seem to come in handy aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK. THere are a few tangents going on here. A few statements that may help clear things up (or confuse you even more).

• A PI is just a computer. It needs a network to talk to things.
    • You may see people mention "the show network". Most recent shows use an Ethernet based network to deliver data to the controllers using the E1.31 protocol (Yes WiFi is considered part of such a network).
    • The PI should never be connected to the "Show Network" via WiFi. If your show data leaves the PI on the WiFi network then it is subject to additional delays which result in things (especially sound) becoming out of sync.
    • Prior to PI Zero, the PI did NOT have built in WiFi and the primary connection to the PI was wired via an Ethernet connector.
    • The show network does not need to be very complex.
      • An AP with three or four ports (aka built in switch)
      • Plug PI into one of those ports
      • Plug your E1.31 based controllers into the AP built in switch.
      • Have any ESP/WiFi connected controllers connect to your AP.

• For most of these discussions, the PI is running an application called FPP. The FPP can be installed as an APP on the PI Linux distribution (This is the hard way) or you can download the FPP+PI (simply called FPP) image and install it on your PIs SD card (This is the easy way).

Some comments about my show

• I have 6 E1.31 based (various Falcon controllers) on my show network.
    • I have a small number of ESP based controllers in my network but those are for hard to reach props.
    • I have a link from my shows WAN interface to my home network router so that the PI can get to NTP and I can get to the controllers from my desk.
    • My master PI (I have three PIs in the show) has a PI Hat that is an Audio DAC (Hated the audio coming out of the PI). I have modified the DAC to allow me to inject power to my PI using the 5v pins on the expansion connector. My DAC drives my EDM transmitter and gives good audio quality.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    OK. THere are a few tangents going on here. A few statements that may help clear things up (or confuse you even more).

• A PI is just a computer. It needs a network to talk to things.
    • You may see people mention "the show network". Most recent shows use an Ethernet based network to deliver data to the controllers using the E1.31 protocol (Yes WiFi is considered part of such a network).
    • The PI should never be connected to the "Show Network" via WiFi. If your show data leaves the PI on the WiFi network then it is subject to additional delays which result in things (especially sound) becoming out of sync.
    • Prior to PI Zero, the PI did NOT have built in WiFi and the primary connection to the PI was wired via an Ethernet connector.
    • The show network does not need to be very complex.
      • An AP with three or four ports (aka built in switch)
      • Plug PI into one of those ports
      • Plug your E1.31 based controllers into the AP built in switch.
      • Have any ESP/WiFi connected controllers connect to your AP.

• For most of these discussions, the PI is running an application called FPP. The FPP can be installed as an APP on the PI Linux distribution (This is the hard way) or you can download the FPP+PI (simply called FPP) image and install it on your PIs SD card (This is the easy way).

Some comments about my show

• I have 6 E1.31 based (various Falcon controllers) on my show network.
    • I have a small number of ESP based controllers in my network but those are for hard to reach props.
    • I have a link from my shows WAN interface to my home network router so that the PI can get to NTP and I can get to the controllers from my desk.
    • My master PI (I have three PIs in the show) has a PI Hat that is an Audio DAC (Hated the audio coming out of the PI). I have modified the DAC to allow me to inject power to my PI using the 5v pins on the expansion connector. My DAC drives my EDM transmitter and gives good audio quality.
    Thatís Very well explained thanks Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've got the network side of things well under way, it's the source code and wiring learning curve I'm trying to get around. Running Cat-6 around the yard won't be a problem...it'll be nicer than fishing it through walls...but, I digress. What kind of ESP's are you using in your show? Do you happen to have a wiring example for one of them and a code example to start with if you're using NodeMCU, please?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the ESPixelSticks from Shelby. Code is the stock image that comes with the device.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...

Well, I just got my NodeMCU working...so, I think I'm making some progress...
    Last edited by HEMISixty; 07-06-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I purchased a CanaKit off Amazon with Raspberry Pi4. The 32G EVO sd card has NOOBs preinstalled. Do I install FPP on top of this or re-format and image the FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Reformat and install FPP image over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Reformat and install FPP image over it.
    Thanks, that was my suspicion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123