Thread: Opinions wanted, 45 degree or flat mount aluminum channel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions wanted, 45 degree or flat mount aluminum channel?

I just bought my first home and want to install some permanent LED lights on the house. My house is fairly simple having only one floor. I'm going to be running 5m 150 light strips. I am going to install the aluminum channel, but this is where I need opinions. I am going to install along the soffit of the roof. Should I go with the flat aluminum channel which would aim the LED's downward or should I go for the 45degree channel which would aim the led's more towards the street? I want to run along the soffit to keep the amount or rain/direct sun down.

Appreciate any opinions or links you might have on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Opinions wanted, 45 degree or flat mount aluminum channel?

IMO: Viewing angle on the strips is a bit narrower than on the bullet nodes. I have hung bullet nodes straight down and they were plenty visible. When I tried to hang strips straight down, the colors were off due to a steep angle through the lens. In general, I would not use strips. But if you are going to use strips then go for 45 degree angle.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

My first question is the your intent of the lights. Sequencing them, or aesthetic wall washing.

Wall washing would be straight down.
    Sequencing, I'm with martin and would also suggest pixels over strips. Strips seem to have a high failure rate. A good set of pixels will last years, many years. I running my first set of pixels now for the 4th. Still not lost a single one.

If you are staying with strips, and sequencing; consider 90 degree too
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your opinions. The pixels sound like a good plan. I will likely end up mounting them like the Dr.zzzz yt video did using the jchannel mount and drilling holes every 3 inches. Is there a preferred brand or should just pickup some from amazon or ebay? I am leaning towards the 12v variant for the pixels so voltage drop is less of a concern.
    Last edited by Veeb0rg; 06-30-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is your choice, and there are many factors to weigh, but I'd like to interject something here.

Strips are notorious for going bad, and being hard to fix, etc.
    When a strip goes bad, it is frequently because it is in a position to move. Tied to a piece of PVC which flexes, or inside an arch which is moved in and out of storage - as well as moving in the wind, or flexing due to extreme weather changes (temp). Movement kills strips.

I have a location where the strips are mounted inside aluminum channels with translucent covers over them. (An example is found here.) They are mounted below shelves in a dozen cabinets (about 4 strips in each cabinet). They get used daily and have been in place for several years (I believe it has been 5 years). Knock on wood, but I haven't had a single replacement in all that time. I truly believe it is because they don't move.

With your application, they may just work.

With that said, putting pixels (bullet or square) in 3" centers is a really good way. But it is still your choice.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    It is your choice, and there are many factors to weigh, but I'd like to interject something here.

Strips are notorious for going bad, and being hard to fix, etc.
    When a strip goes bad, it is frequently because it is in a position to move. Tied to a piece of PVC which flexes, or inside an arch which is moved in and out of storage - as well as moving in the wind, or flexing due to extreme weather changes (temp). Movement kills strips.

I have a location where the strips are mounted inside aluminum channels with translucent covers over them. (An example is found here.) They are mounted below shelves in a dozen cabinets (about 4 strips in each cabinet). They get used daily and have been in place for several years (I believe it has been 5 years). Knock on wood, but I haven't had a single replacement in all that time. I truly believe it is because they don't move.

With your application, they may just work.

With that said, putting pixels (bullet or square) in 3" centers is a really good way. But it is still your choice.
    Yeah, after looking at the j channel I realized that the pixel strings would just be an easier solution. At this point unless someone else has a better suggestion I'm going to be running 12v ws2811 strings with some of the J channel from the local store controlled by a nodemcu I have sitting around. Going to use a spare HP server PSU for supply voltage and will be picking up a logic level converter to help with the signal from the nodemu to the lights themselves. Once I've got it all installed and working I'm gonna start on a few arches I think maybe.
    Last edited by Veeb0rg; 06-30-2020 at 05:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Veeb0rg View Post
    I appreciate your opinions. The pixels sound like a good plan. I will likely end up mounting them like the Dr.zzzz yt video did using the jchannel mount and drilling holes every 3 inches. Is there a preferred brand or should just pickup some from amazon or ebay? I am leaning towards the 12v variant for the pixels so voltage drop is less of a concern.
    In general the ebay pixels have a higher failure rate than those from premium vendors like Ray Wu. If you are OK repairing pixels often then you can go ebay, else go with another outlet.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Pixel vendor is important because you want the best for the best price. Amazon and ebay supply questionable pixels, typically with under sized wire. There are several good ones out there....my top 2 are

Diyledexpress. Great product and price, but customer service sometimes an issue. Best to only but stocked items.
    Ray Wu (Aliexpress) good to great products. Good customer service. Longer delivery time. Order only 18 gauge wired pixels
    One that Iíve not used, but hear great things about them: Wired Watts wiredwatts.com
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Placed my order with DiyLedExpress and a few things off Amazon.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future.