Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E682 Universe multicast best practices

Post Thanks / Like

Default E682 Universe multicast best practices

What is the best practice for handling Universes/channels with the Sandevices E682(or any controller I suppose)? I am using 8 strands of 100 pixels to make a 16x50pixel megatree. I am also using an additional strands of 50 for a tree topper. My initial thought was to use 9 universes total with 100 pixels(300 channels) on each universe except for the 9th universe which would just use 50 pixels(150 channels) but it looks like I can only use 7 universes with multicast. What do most people do in this situation? Use unicast instead?

Below is what I initially configured and then realized I couldn't have 9 universes using multicast.

Also a question specific to the E682...the E682 documentation says to use 510 channels per universe for RGB pixels but other sources have said to always use 512 channels if possible. Which is the better practice here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: E682 Universe multicast best practices

I have almost exactly same set up and I use unicast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please check out: http://animalaidusa.org/ Adopt a furry friend and save two life's.
    The one you adopt and the one you just made room for in the shelter!
    Like Us On Facebook @ Madison Avenue Lights

Post Thanks / Like

See post #4. When I posted this I had a senior moment. A few minutes later I posted the correct way.
    Last edited by pmiller; 06-29-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this and you can still do multicast.Shot.png

Post Thanks / Like

Change the universe count to 510. Reason is 170 pixels, 3 channels each is 510 channels. I actually never understood the 512 but 510 is best practice. shot2.jpg
    Last edited by pmiller; 06-28-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I always use 510. But why are you using 1 universe per output? Universes can spread over outputs.
    using 100 pixels per output = 1-1 start universe 1 channel 1 end universe 1 channel 300, 1-2 start universe 1 channel 301 end universe 2 channel 90.
    1-3 start universe 2 channel 91 end universe 2 channel 390, and so on.

What pmiller said.
    Last edited by rayhjr; 06-28-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Post 4 shows how he should set it up. Also, if he uses unicast he has 7 more universes he can use.
    Last edited by pmiller; 06-28-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    Change the universe count to 510. Reason is 170 pixels, 3 channels each is 510 channels. I actually never understood the 512 but 510 is best practice.
    512 is an even binary number. DMX and by extension E1.31 is NOT designed for pixels. It is designed to transport a reasonable number of 8 bit channels of data across a specific media. It is your controller that adds pixelness to the data stream.

FYI: I run almost all of my universes at 512 channels per universe. It is the capability of the controller that determines whether you need to use 510 or 512 channels per universe. My controllers (F16V3) and others (latest Sandevices) have no problem using 512 channels per universe and bonding channels from multiple universes into a single data stream. Sometimes it is easier for us humans to use the simplified 510/3 = 170 pixels mechanism. However that goes out the door with RGBW pixels which use four channels of data per pixel. In that case, one full universe can transport data for 512/4 = 128 RGBW pixels.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thank you guys. That is exactly what I was wondering about setting up universes. I was just using 100 channels on each universe to simplify the setup but now I understand utilizing all of a universe to maximize channels. This is my first controller so I am just getting my bearing straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmkoch View Post
    Awesome, thank you guys. That is exactly what I was wondering about setting up universes. I was just using 100 channels on each universe to simplify the setup but now I understand utilizing all of a universe to maximize channels. This is my first controller so I am just getting my bearing straight.
    Unfortunately I'm getting out of the hobby due to health and age. However, I do plan staying with the forum and continuing my subscription. I plan on keeping a 682 just so I can help others. Sure going to miss my lights and the smile on peoples faces.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast