Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E682 Universe multicast best practices

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: E682 Universe multicast best practices

You should also consider using the 682 outputs in order. It's easier to add things later and it keeps channels and universes in order. You don't have too but visually seeing things in their order is much easier. So, if you are using 1-1 to 1-4 and then have something on 4-1 and later add something on 2-1 you can't visually see channels and universes in their numerical order. Your eyes will scroll up, then down and then back again. It could get confusing. Just easier to add things later.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That is very respectful. Itís definitely a fulfilling hobby but it is also very time and money consuming lol.

One last question I have, I have the controller, xlights and FPP set up successfully but forgot to account for the zigzag. I currently have 100 pixel strands go up 50 pixels and then down 50 pixels on the next leg. I see the First Zag and Then Every options on. So how do I account for that? I tried putting in the very First Zag as 51 and Then Every 51 hoping it would auto fill the other output configurations but no luck. Is there an easy way?

This also may be question for the xlights section. I see in the documentation for xlights to set the model to 2x the actual length of pixels and then configure the strings to have 2 strands per string but it shows the preview really wonky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    You should also consider using the 682 outputs in order. It's easier to add things later and it keeps channels and universes in order. You don't have too but visually seeing things in their order is much easier. So, if you are using 1-1 to 1-4 and then have something on 4-1 and later add something on 2-1 you can't visually see channels and universes in their numerical order. Your eyes will scroll up, then down and then back again. It could get confusing. Just easier to add things later.

Yeah, I split the outputs to offset the power for the mega tree. Honestly, I won’t be expanding my pixel setup for the foreseeable future. I’m only in my current house for another 3 years and then I am moving into the country where no one could see my light show.

Post Thanks / Like

For a lot of us (most?), the best place to do the "zig-zag" is at the controller. There are those that believe it is best to do it in the sequencer. Your choice. Just don't do it in both.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmkoch View Post
    That is very respectful. Itís definitely a fulfilling hobby but it is also very time and money consuming lol.

One last question I have, I have the controller, xlights and FPP set up successfully but forgot to account for the zigzag. I currently have 100 pixel strands go up 50 pixels and then down 50 pixels on the next leg. I see the First Zag and Then Every options on. So how do I account for that? I tried putting in the very First Zag as 51 and Then Every 51 hoping it would auto fill the other output configurations but no luck. Is there an easy way?

This also may be question for the xlights section. I see in the documentation for xlights to set the model to 2x the actual length of pixels and then configure the strings to have 2 strands per string but it shows the preview really wonky.
    You zig zag at 50 so pixel 51 will go down. I had 682's running trees and used zig zag on the controller. But 2 years ago something happened and it wouldn't work. I just reversed patched in Vixen and didn't have a problem after that. If you're using Vixen be careful with patching. I had an issue when selecting all elements and then when patching them they would get out of order. Took me days to figure out what the heck was happening. Finally figured it out and now, no matter what I patch, I do one strand at a time. Unfortunately the 682 doesn't autofill and anytime you make a change to any line you have to save. That can be a pain.

Last edited by pmiller; 06-30-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12