Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouping of lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grouping of lights

Iím getting a headache trying figure out best way to setup my lights on my house outline . Not sure why itís giving me so much problems maybe all in my head but time is getting closer and feeling the pressure so here I am again asking for some help .

I have frames lined with pixels for each window in center of house and for the entrance door with 2 long skinny windows next to it .
    My thinking was a controller ( pixel pop) for garage section and one for center section and one for right section of house .
    Each section covering the roof line and verticals and any props such as snowflakes and such that would be in that section. Up to the 680 pixels allowed for each .
    Am I correct so far ? Or does someone see an issue with it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grouping of lights

Technically correct. This will work.

What follows is my opinion:
    I would not use a WiFi driven controller in this application. I would use a Falcon F4 or F16. While you can get the WiFi stuff to work, it does take a bit of tweaking to get it working right when you have a lot of WiFi devices on your network.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post

I would not use a WiFi driven controller in this application. I would use a Falcon F4 or F16. While you can get the WiFi stuff to work, it does take a bit of tweaking to get it working right when you have a lot of WiFi devices on your network.
    Thank you I also have 2 of E682 I could use but was trying to save for a small mega tree or a matrix on my garage door of some sort .

Post Thanks / Like

I second this! I went full wifi last year. Just too many issues that I wasn't willing to chase down. I have a Falcon F48 and a handful of receiver boards. Like you, most of my pixel stuff is on the house. I have no issues hardwiring it all for reliability.

I will repurpose my wireless pixel devices for single props. It's ok with me if a single props or two stops working. But if half the house goes dark it's no good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by th182 View Post
    I second this! I went full wifi last year. Just too many issues that I wasn't willing to chase down. I have a Falcon F48 and a handful of receiver boards. Like you, most of my pixel stuff is on the house. I have no issues hardwiring it all for reliability.

I will repurpose my wireless pixel devices for single props. It's ok with me if a single props or two stops working. But if half the house goes dark it's no good.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Do horizontal lines have to be on separate string than the vertical Or can I separate an element into both ? Trying to cut down on amount of ports used on e682 ?

Post Thanks / Like

A string can go up/down/around on a single port. You create groups for your prop and then child groups for related pixels. The pixels in a group DO NOT need to next to each other on the string of pixels. The magic of lining everything up on the wire is in the patching step.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

A string can go up/down/around on a single port. You create groups for your prop and then child groups for related pixels. The pixels in a group DO NOT need to next to each other on the string of pixels. The magic of lining everything up on the wire is in the patching step.
    Thanks for the info , guess I need to google that now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Thanks for the info , guess I need to google that now

All is right in the world once again thanks for the help everything is working as should even on the preview screen now . Thanks for taking the time to help !

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be afraid of the pixel pops, and wifi. I guess maybe I am lucky as I live in an area without a lot of wifi traffic, as I heard that can cause issues if there are to many wifi signals in a close proximity. The main thing is to have a dedicated Access Point like the Ubiquity Nano M2 and run the pixel pops in multicast mode. I ran over 28 of them last year and had no issues with them being out of sync. I even had some singing faces on espixel sticks and normally didn't notice any lag. If I connected my pc or phone to that network I would sometimes see lag, while it was connected. When I used a wifi router I could only connect 5 - 6 esp's before I would run into issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast