Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Placing my first pixel order, have some questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Placing my first pixel order, have some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Al,
    How can you be so right and so EVIL at the same time?
    Practice! Many years of Practice!!!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

plight,
    The advent of the regulated pixel has changed a LOT of thinking. Where 12vdc used to be far less conservative than 5vdc, it isn't that way any more. Like was said, 5vdc pixels draw about 90% of the regulated, or put another way - the regulated pixels only pull about 10% more than the 5vdc version. With that, why complicate things and have dual voltage?

FYI - we run 50 pixel stuff on 12vdc all the time. No problems and not that big of a loss (over 5vdc pixels).

In any case, HAVE FUN!

P.S.,
    You may be interested in the fact that you are listening to someone who still has some incandescent based props in his display. Just thought you would like to know.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info! I will be going for regulated 12v all the way! :D

A couple more questions:
    With your pixels, you normally use 50 pixel strings and add as needed? 100 pixel strings and trim? Special order custom lengths?
    Seems hardly props fall in the 50 or 100 count bucket so for my order, wondering if I should aim for 50 or 100. I know there is a heaping helping of "it depends" here, just curious what everyone else does and why.

Final question: What exactly is the use case for flat pixels? The only I could see is maybe a house outline if your pixels is mounted very close to the exterior of the house itself. I dont see what it would gain in props.
    Last edited by plight; 06-04-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Square or flat pixels are great if you have props that are lying against a surface (such as snowflakes on roofs, or against a house wall.) They also come in very handy if you are going to be rolling your props up for storage (such as a medium to large matrix). Now, with that said, using bullets instead can be just as easy - but I really do like the squares. Some props made by others (such as Boscoyo) almost require the square pixels because the back side of them is cut larger for them. Always helps to ask "what style pixels will work with this" when purchasing.

Note that there is a rectangular node, usually with 3 LED packages controlled by one chip. They have several different names, including (in some circles) "flat", but they have their place in large coverages. For example, we have them inside our "columns" on our front porch. AS they are usually around 2 to 3 inches long, they don't go into too many props that I know of.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

edit...I had a different interpretation of flat pixel but upon rereading see you were probably talking about square pixels as algerdes talked about.

Flat pixels aka strips have density and lack of wire sticking out as their main features. Since they tend to be harder to fix and re-waterproof for most people, they have fallen out of favor for many applications where nodes can be used. I have strips inside my arches and think they work good there.
    Last edited by MikeKrebs; 06-05-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12