Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGB controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default RGB controller

I hope I'm posting this question is the right area. I'm trying to find out if there is a firmware for the esp8266 that can be controlled by vixen through e1.31 over wifi that can utilize more outputs of the chip, 3 to be exact I want to be able to setup 3 outputs as channels that can control 3 high current LED drivers for high watt LEDs,

I want to build RGB flood lights that can be setup as separate units and only require power to each because from what I read setting them up as pixels so to speak would require a wire from each unit to anther and long wires between each pixel driver can cause problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB controller

Hi, yes this is quite easy. I'll link a project doing this (please read to post 10 as there was an error in the code). If you are using something with more GPIO’s broken out than the ESP8266-01 there might be better pins to use.

If you need any help let me know.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ips-amp-floods

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, yes this is quite easy. I'll link a project doing this (please read to post 10 as there was an error in the code). If you are using something with more GPIO’s broken out than the ESP8266-01 there might be better pins to use.

If you need any help let me know.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ips-amp-floods
    I unfortunately could never achieve dimming with the code provided in the thread you have linked .

This is an excellent read -> for rgb in addition to your great thread !

If you are creating and rgb controller with an esp8266 that has multiple gpio , you definitely will enjoy
    as much info as possible .
    Last edited by angus40; 05-24-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are planning to have an ESP at every flood, You can use the pixel mode and just process one pixel. Set the start channel to prgresivly higher channel numbers and you are good to go.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Since you are planning to have an ESP at every flood, You can use the pixel mode and just process one pixel. Set the start channel to prgresivly higher channel numbers and you are good to go.

This is a great suggestion if all you have is the esp-01 and are using authentic EspixelStick firmware
    but otherwise this is quite vague Martin !

If the OP is using high current leds , they would require either a pixel (dissected) or a pixel pcb in order to have exposed r, g, and b channels .

I prefer not using pixels to control rgb ,instead using a gpio directly . This does rule out the Esp-01 though .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    This does rule out the Esp-01 though .
    The ESP8266-01 has 4 GPIO's, in the example I linked 3 are used for R,G,B and the 4th for serial out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    This is a great suggestion if all you have is the esp-01 and are using authentic EspixelStick firmware
    but otherwise this is quite vague Martin !

If the OP is using high current leds , they would require either a pixel (dissected) or a pixel pcb in order to have exposed r, g, and b channels .

I prefer not using pixels to control rgb ,instead using a gpio directly . This does rule out the Esp-01 though .
    there are multiple implementations of the pixel floodlight configuration. i was only addressing the concern that using a pixel driver adds wires around the house. a stick at or in each flood is possible using the current sick software with the proper configuration.

yes the esp-01 is not well suited to do the pwm outpits needed by dumb rgb nodes. the esp-12 or esp32 would do a much better job.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    The ESP8266-01 has 4 GPIO's, in the example I linked 3 are used for R,G,B and the 4th for serial out.
    Hmmm .. this is good to know . I had given up on using more than 2 gpio stably with the Esp-01 and just moved to the Wemos D1.
    I will re-visit your thread and give rgb control another go with my sketch and see if it will perform stable 3 channel dimming .
    For stand alone completely wireless props/elements the Esp-01 smaller size is ideally suited .

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, looking back that was a 2015 post. It’s quite simple; I’ll have a run through it and repost the code here with 5 years of hindsight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    there are multiple implementations of the pixel floodlight configuration. i was only addressing the concern that using a pixel driver adds wires around the house. a stick at or in each flood is possible using the current sick software with the proper configuration.

yes the esp-01 is not well suited to do the pwm outpits needed by dumb rgb nodes. the esp-12 or esp32 would do a much better job.
    Eureka ! Martin , You are 1000000 % correct . I had almost forgotten until I re-read this reply several times .

In answer to the OP's original request : The WLED firmware has a feature/selection/setting where users can set outputs(specific gpio) as Analog R G B, R G B W or R G B W W.
    Link here

The beauty of the WLED firmware is that it controls the rgb / ww as if it were a pixel and no pixel hardware is required .
    The down is side if I remember correctly , it's control is as pixel # 1 only .(though this could have changed since back when I was testing this feature) .
    Last edited by angus40; 05-26-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast