Thread: Earths best practice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Earths best practice

What's the best practice when dealing with pc power supplies and the multiple negatives?
    As per picture I've run each earth from the pc to each component and set of lights. Is this necessary? Or could I either just bundle them all together and join all the negatives to a terminal post, or cut all but one or two and terminate all the light ones together on one negative and run another to a common terminal post for the controllers? I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Edit: I forgot to mention, I had to transfer everything from a plastic case to this wooden box so it could be painted on the side of the house (under cover so it will never get wet) As the wife thought the other one was 'ugly'.
    Also changed word earth to negatives.
    Last edited by townshend lights; 05-24-2020 at 03:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Earths best practice

Every bit of current that flows through a V+ wire also flows through the V- wire. This statement means combining the V- wires into a single wire will significantly increase the voltage drop on the V- wire. The Earth ground does not carry any current and is there to prevent electrical shock. Please be aware that terminology may be a factor here.: The output of a PSU is V+ and V-. The input to a PSU is AC-Line, AC-Neutral and Earth Ground.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 05-23-2020 at 08:41 PM.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I've had issues with some of my esp8266 modules when they are too close together. Keep this in mind when deploying this for your show.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking about V- or ground on the dc side of the power supply, I think the last I opened up a pc power supply, all the grounds were internally the same. So they are already connected together. Your particular power supply might be different. They have lots of ground wires to make it easy to connect to different components not because they are all different grounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    If you are talking about V- or ground on the dc side of the power supply, I think the last I opened up a pc power supply, all the grounds were internally the same. So they are already connected together. Your particular power supply might be different. They have lots of ground wires to make it easy to connect to different components not because they are all different grounds.
    AND to provide sufficient current carrying capacity. A(V+) == A(V-) which means you need as many V- wires as you have V+ wires OR the V- wires need to be sized large enough to handle the aggregate current. It is easier to have an equal number of V+ and V- wires at the same size.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes. Sorry, sloppy terminology. So based on your reply, I'll run separate negatives. Like I've done basically.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran them like this for my Valentine, Easter and ANZAC display with no issues. Each situation is separate I suppose. I forgot to mention, I had to transfer everything from a plastic case to this wooden box so it could be painted on the side of the house (under cover so it will never get wet) As the wife thought the other one was 'ugly'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    These ones are actually separate, another one that I have does have the negatives combined inside the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcasterline View Post
    I've had issues with some of my esp8266 modules when they are too close together. Keep this in mind when deploying this for your show.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I ran them like this for my Valentine, Easter and ANZAC display with no issues. Each situation is separate I suppose. I forgot to mention, I had to transfer everything from a plastic case to this wooden box so it could be painted on the side of the house (under cover so it will never get wet) As the wife thought the other one was 'ugly'.