Thread: Power Supply with Nichrome Wire

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Supply with Nichrome Wire

Hey Everyone- Has anyone used the 12V 350W 30A power supplies with Nichrome 20 Gauge Resistance Wire to make a DIY foam cutter? I've seen other smaller power supplies used, but curious if any of you have tried with the higher AMPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Power Supply with Nichrome Wire

Isnít it the resistance that determines the amperage if the voltage is constant?

E=IxR

So in theory a bigger power supply should let you use a shorter wire? It would run at a higher amperage and may burn the wire up if you exceeded the rating for the wire.... so you would still need to use the same length wire so it doesnít burn itself up, but if you have the power supply already then I donít see why it wouldnít work.

That being said, i might be missing something here. Iíve never built one, Iím just spitballing here while we wait for someone who knows the answer for absolute certain to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have made foam cutters for my RC airplane projects. Your best bet is a high current ~10 amp variable voltage supply. Some people use a fixed supply and use a wire wound "variac" to control the voltage. Those are kind of hard to find, usually older and made of brittle bakelite, and expensive.
    I have even seen people put several nails in a board wrap the nicrome wire from nail to nail and use a large AWG jumper to short between different nails to increase the voltage. That takes a bit of experimenting to get the right setup. I have several rolls of different AWG nichrome left over from my grandpa from 50 years ago.
    Last edited by aknflyer; 05-22-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a dc-dc converter and a laptop psu. Then you can vary voltage on the fly and costs almost nothing. I have made 3 wire-cutters, 1 horizontal, 1 vertikal and one "free hand", looks like a bow, only missing the arrow
    Errors for fun only.