Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a Mega Tree, Need some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Planning a Mega Tree, Need some advice

My pole is three PVC pipes inside each other, telescoping to about 50% extension on each length. 70MPH winds with good guide lines resulted in no issues.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 36" star with 3" pixel spacing and it seems "right". I would suspect 23" star with 2" spacing would seem right.
    star.jpg
    tree1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barlav View Post
    I use a 36" star with 3" pixel spacing and it seems "right". I would suspect 23" star with 2" spacing would seem right.
    star.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    Cool, thanks for the info and the visual - looks like a 23" star will look pretty good with 2" spacing.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you have to use what you think will survive the winds you get. As far as the top rail for me, we get the Santa Ana winds that will blow a steady 20 - 40 with gusts up to 60+. I have a smallish Bethlehem Star above my tree that is 23" tall by 12" wide (50 pixels).
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I reccomend using a cable reel for the base ring. They are available from telecom companies in most any area. They are quite strong/unbendable square steel rings, and usually available free for the asking. They come in 6' & 8' diameters. I unbolted most of the parts to get 2 rings, then removed all of the ribs with a sawzall. Then inserted 2 pieces of conduit to make a centering strut for a closet flang to ride the pole up and down with a hand winch. Its quite light. I then painted it with flex seal and marked out the strip attach points with a paint pen. I crank the ring about 1' above the ground. The ring is held down with 4 bungies to ground anchors. As I crank it up the ring rises, when the bungies tighten, then the strings take the load and straighten out. The more you winch up the tighter/straighter they get. The boysco strips act guy wires for the mast sunk in a 3' piece of pvc in the ground. I did add 2 empty strips at the back to support the ring. It does take one rope to the back screw in anchor, since mine is a 180 tree and all the weight is up front. I even have a cad file for my 270 node 36" star if your interested. Mine was lasered out of aluminum from a local sheetmetal outfit along with the 1/4" plate steel topper.
    Tree Pic.jpg
    Last edited by aknflyer; 05-19-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12