Thread: DMX on ESPixelStick

Post Thanks / Like

Default DMX on ESPixelStick

I have a bunch of the ESPixelsticks laying around and I’m looking for things to do with them. I read in the build manual that they’ll output serial DMX if the RS-485 interface is bypassed or an RS-232 to RS-485 converter is used. Has anyone done either, and if using a converter, which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DMX on ESPixelStick

I have made a few using the cheap MAX485 modules....
    I have made up build guides for the regular and DMX versions:
    http://zappedmyself.com/projects/espixelpops/

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I needed, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning to design a board that brings this DMX capability to the pixel pops family.

I am thinking it will be a pixel pops board that can take these DMX modules as a daughter board.
    What do you all think?

Post Thanks / Like

That would be nice.. There is no cheaper way to get a E1.31 to DMX bridge...
    Last edited by packetbob; 05-22-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    What do you all think?
    I’m thinking shut up and take my money.

Would be nice to have compatibility with the ESPixelStick, although I’m guessing the pinout on both are pretty similar on the output side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    I am planning to design a board that brings this DMX capability to the pixel pops family.

I am thinking it will be a pixel pops board that can take these DMX modules as a daughter board.
    What do you all think?
    DaughterBoard == more connections and physical space. Unless you mean an inline daughterboard. PixelPop and PixelStick are just a baseboard and an ESP-01. Make a DMX Baseboard or make a board that takes the Serial output on the existing board and turns it into RS485 (aka RS485 Transmitter) then the other end can be any DMX device OR if in pixel mode you have a long distance pixel signal using the RS485 levels that the other pixel extenders use.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

The PCB would be larger to accommodate the RS-485 module but you can remove the +5 regulator, 2N7000 and their associated resistors...

You could make the PCB smaller by using a discrete RS-485 driver (8 pin DIP) but the cost of the RS-485 driver (and associated resistors) may be more than the cost of the additional PCB required for the module.. The modules are really cheap (think I pay about $0.60 Canadian each).

You may want to add an extra GND terminal so you can connect a ground for the DMX connector as the module only has Data + and Data - (AB)