Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renard not passing data

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renard not passing data

I assembled my two SS24's back in January of 2020. I tried testing them out once connecting them. Since there are two, I'll call one controller A, and the other controller B. Basically, both had worked fine on their own when given power and a data source, but I had never successfully linked them together since I attempted to, then controller B (Attached to controller A) started flickering and then went completely dark while I was running a test sequence. After that, I couldn't get controller B to receive data. I only goth them both working when I switched the two controllers (Where controller A is receiving data from controller B,) and they worked fine. I've come to the conclusion that something isn't working on the output of controller A. I checked all my solder pads and they were fine, there was also no bridging. If it's important, the PIC's are programmed with the DMX firmware. Does anybody know what's happening with controller the output on controller A?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Renard not passing data

Pictures of your board might be helpful.
    Did you flash them with the same software or did you change the addresses for each one?

Post Thanks / Like

I flashed all 6 of the total PICs with the DMX firmware with a start adress of 1

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to have a look at U4 & U5 on controller A for issues. As a simple test you could swap the ic's with controller B

then reconnect the daisy as A - B to see if they are faulty .

Post Thanks / Like

Had that issue once with 2 SS8's. Went through the trouble shooting guide testing and checking everything and couldn't find it. Ended up it was a bad RJ45 plug on the output of the board. Easiest thing to replace, but of course it was the last thing I checked.

There is an excellent troubleshooting guide in the wiki.

Good luck, and don't forget to post when you find the problem. Might help someone else in the future.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Look down inside the RJ45 jack, I had one where the Wires were crossed. You can fix that, uncross them w/ a small flat blade screw driver, just not sure if you would need to remove the plug first or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
    Had that issue once with 2 SS8's. Went through the trouble shooting guide testing and checking everything and couldn't find it. Ended up it was a bad RJ45 plug on the output of the board. Easiest thing to replace, but of course it was the last thing I checked.

Good luck, and don't forget to post when you find the problem. Might help someone else in the future.

Rob
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

Rob
    Thank you! I just had this issue and switched out the RJ45 plug from J2 to J1. That fixed my issue.

Post Thanks / Like

No problemo, nice to know it helped someone.

Post Thanks / Like

Well oddly it worked yesterday, but no longer works today. So I'm not sure what's going on now

Post Thanks / Like

Most times I have found that flowing the solder around the plug in and out will fix this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast