Thread: Best way for power injection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way for power injection

I understand what it is. My question is the best method. I bought some little boards to build my own T's and they are a disaster. Holes are way too small. Last year I soldered the wiring together and it worked but didn't look great. 4 bucks a pop for my show is a few hundred dollars for prebuilts. Any other easy way to do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best way for power injection

I used these pre-builts last year. I use AMP connectors, so I don't care about the ends, I just cut them off and install the connectors I use. Not cheap, but reasonable.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought some "power injection T's" but upon measuring them all the conductors go all the way through. This means the V lines will be connected. Everything I have seen has said don't connect V+. I really don't want to cut the V+ at the end of the previous string and they will not always be from the same power supply. Should I just leave it connected?

Post Thanks / Like

Some power injection T's are for the same power supply and some are for a different power supply. The latter are harder to find especially when you take into account finding the right ends to connect them together. If you use Ray Wu, you can find a variety of different solutions. He has a small 3 core cable that has the v+ cut so you can put a tee on the end of it and have new power. He has some tees with v+ v+ and gnd in the middle connector so you can wire in two supplies and have the power go 2 different directions. I am sure other vendors have solutions as well.

Post Thanks / Like

You only need to cut the +V if you are going to be using a different power supply for the injection, if everything is fed from the same power supply you don't need to cut the +V

Quote Originally Posted by Starsman20 View Post
    So I bought some "power injection T's" but upon measuring them all the conductors go all the way through. This means the V lines will be connected. Everything I have seen has said don't connect V+. I really don't want to cut the V+ at the end of the previous string and they will not always be from the same power supply. Should I just leave it connected?
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

If you are not going super big, you can just add power to the end of the string and not have to worry about "T's"
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried these yet, but I think I have it saved in my Amazon list because someone else recommended them as a power inject option. However they are pricey! I plan on using delphi/muyi connectors.
    Last edited by woodee; 05-14-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using These from Ray Wu. I cut off the JST connectors and replace them with delphi/muyi connectors.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights