Thread: Arduino and Vixen 3; ready to setup display

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino and Vixen 3; ready to setup display

I have a basic question about the output pins for the arduino mega. For a couple of years I have been accumulating strings of lights and elements. I am now ready move to the next basic level of adding Vixen 3 to the mix. I think I have everything I need. I have made test bench with the mega and a couple of bread boards with LEDS and resistors. All working fine. The question is, I am using arduino code to pair the arduino and vixen but the comments within the instructions are for 48 channels. Can I not use all 60 outputs? All 60 channels work on my bench, will there be a problem when I connect it to the actual relays? I have 3 sainsmart 16ch and 2 sainsmart 8ch. I have been looking for the answer online. It works on the bench but worried that during deployment the issue will arise. Sorry for the basic question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino and Vixen 3; ready to setup display

If it works on the bench then you should be fine.
    What sketch are you using?
    Did you modify it to control 60 outputs?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I can re-post the sketch but it seems to be the most current. I did add the final pins 46 -53, I added the defined channels needed and changed the number of channels defined from 48 to 60. During this home lockdown, I thought it was a good time to get the display sequenced. I have multiple mega controllers available but if I can use all of the outputs without a problem.

I can post the sketch if you would like to see it. New to forum, can figure out how.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the sketch, I am guessing that it is the by Victor_PV. As long as you can turn the LEDs on on your test bench,it should work with the SSR's or Relay modules. The problem you may see will likely be at faster rates of changes if the CPU speed can not keep up due to the extra channels.

If you have multiple MEGA controllers, you could certainly run more than one. I ran 4 MEGA controllers my first year all connected via USB ports. Two were running the Victor_PV sketch with 48 channels and two were running a variation of the ZParticle sketch with 48 channels.

I have since reduced my number of MEGA controllers to 3 with each running ZParticle's sketch with 32 channels via WIFI (E1.31).
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am running the victor_pv. I did experience a few glitches so I switched to two controllers. I will look for the ZParticle sketch. I am doing this off the backs of other so thank you for your advise.

Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Victor_PV sketch is good for NON-dimming lights. ZParticle sketch is good for DIMMING lights and requires a zero cross detection circuit.
    Kevin