Thread: Suggestions on Growing LOR Display with Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions on Growing LOR Display with Pixels

Hi All,

With all this time indoors lately, I've been getting a head start on researching how I can expand my Christmas display and get into pixels.

Current set up is very simple. I just have 2 LOR CTB16PC controllers. One of them is dedicated to 2 leaping arches that uses all 16 channels.

I want to add some elements such as smaller pixel trees, more arches that use pixels instead of LED string lights, etc. I want to start small and would prefer a controller and power supply that is already mounted in a weather-proof box. I just don't have the time or patience to build it myself.

Any suggestions on how to approach expanding my LOR set up. I would assume the recommendation would be to convert my existing controllers to DMX and begin using non-LOR controllers. If that is the case, can I continue to use LOR software or have to move to xLights?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions on Growing LOR Display with Pixels

You donít have to move to xlights ... but many do.

Post Thanks / Like

LOR has pixels and sequencers for you. They kind of cater to your segment of the market (not doityourselfers). There is a company www.wowlights.com that will sell you LOR based stuff as well. If that fits your style, I'd stick with that. With pixels, you aren't really buying a specific LOR or doityourself pixel (unless you get CCRs). Any ws2811 compatible pixels will work.

If you want to explore other options, xLights or Vixen and some home grown controllers or something you can buy from China or a package from www.holidaycoro.com or www.pixelcontroller.com or www.wiredwatts.com or www.diyledexpress.com might fit. If you do decide to build yourself something, there is lots of help here.

Post Thanks / Like

The only other thing I will say is stay away from ccrs and pixies if you ever think you will move in the future as they either donít run at all or run not as well with vixen and xlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of maybe starting simple with RGB floods. Any thoughts on the LOR CMB24D controller? Would that work in xLights if i decide to convert? Im probably going to stay with the LOR software since im comfortable with it but want to have options. As for the Pixie, i hear you. But the PixCon would be ok, right?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

The CMB-24D and the "dumb" floods will work nicely with LOR. The controller is LOR or DMX protocol input.

IIWM, I would want to look for WS2811 based floods with a small e1.31 controller. But that is me.

xLights can do DMX or you can usually use a bridge on many E1.31 controllers to send out the DMX. The CMB-24D and dumb floods are not a good entry to pixels. Just not really good for future things. If you think you want to pixel in the future, do it this year with a some "small" project. You might end up buying floods from China to get exactly what you want but you have a good foundation year under you as you move to pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Pixcon and cmb24 is fine.