Thread: FPP Master/Remote over Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP Master/Remote over Internet

Hi all,

Has this ever been achieved or is it even possible?

Just thinking if I get the neighbours in our street to join the show and if they have a raspberrypi on their network would it be possible to have a copy of the show there too, have it Master/remote and have the remote listen for packets from master over internet?

I know ports may require to be opened and it'd be some funky routing... but is this theory even possible?

I know about lag and ping which may play a part but... it may be worth a try, if it's possible?

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP Master/Remote over Internet

Possible - yes.
    Has it been done - yes.
    Problems to look out for - those that did it will have to speak up.
    Problems to be considered - propagation delay would be my first thought. How much time would it take to get from your master, through the layers of the internet, and down to the remotes. Would it be too much?

I do know of a couple of displays that were connected across the country. The fact that they were not "next door" to each other, so any delay in the sync would not be noticed made it work in my mind.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Not specific to the rPi but twireless ran a multi house setup using the xbee protocol so you could use that type of wireless signal to control it directly down the street from your place. You would just run the sync out the xbee and bypass the internet.

Then two years ago, rarps did sort of what you are talking about but used esp32s to run the show remotely over the internet. He did use AWS on the back end to more or less synchronize the whole show at once. https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...t-s-going-well!

Soooo, with the rPi as master/slave, you might think about locating the master on a network segment that is remote to the all slaves. When it sends out the sync signals, then all the slaves would get it approximately the same time. The last piece of the puzzle would be the FM transmitter. You would have to do something to delay the music by x milli-seconds or be content with a slight offset.

BTW, this should be easy to test with two rPi. Create a simple sequence that alternates colors and take the second rPi to the neighbor and set it up for them.

Finally, think about this. FPP is not designed out of the box to be "on the internet". It is capable of being hardened but is not intended to be visible on the internet. If you open too many ports or take too many defaults, I could control your show (and your rPi and your computer and your dvr and your alexa and your picture frame and your security cameras) instead of you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Finally, think about this. FPP is not designed out of the box to be "on the internet". It is capable of being hardened but is not intended to be visible on the internet. If you open too many ports or take too many defaults, I could control your show (and your rPi and your computer and your dvr and your alexa and your picture frame and your security cameras) instead of you!
    Yep, and there is that!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Yep, and there is that!
    You could set up a VPN between the two show networks. That takes care of the security issues.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

All things considered, I'll stick with our current method. Ubiqiti Rocket M5 with omni-directional antenna at the "hub". Nanostation M5 at each of the locations - all pointing back at the Rocket.

Though we have not tested the "specification" of 50KM (31 miles), we have gone as much as a 3 miles with this setup and haven't had any problem!
    (Note, we did hoist the units up above the trees. But that is all we did "special".)
    Live, Laugh, Love.