Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Power Supply Box

Post Thanks / Like

Default Server Power Supply Box

A quarantine project - well, not really. Since I am retired, everyday is like a quarantine day. Work on Christmas light projects whenever I feel like it. But I digress..........

Anyway, I just finished putting together a new Power Supply box that houses a 12VDC 750W server supply. I installed some PC mount spade connectors onto the power supply rails by drilling some 1.4mm holes and soldering them in. The I used 12AWG wire to connect the power supply to power distribution boards. Also mounted 2 ESPixelsticks that will control 7 mini trees and 6 spiral trees. All in a large size SockIt Box.
    Now just waiting for November to set it all up.

I thought it was worth sharing because of using the solder type spade connectors. Made for a very neat installation and will be easy to remove if necessary. Cost of the power supply was $11, Cost of the spade connectors are a couple of pennies. I couldn't see paying more for a distribution connector than the power supplies cost.

IMG_6140.jpgIMG_6130.jpgIMG_6127.jpg
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Server Power Supply Box

I use server supplies also. I did find that my supplies output 12.2 to 12.3 volts so I took off the cover and found the adjustment for voltage. Also, I use breakout boards from parallel mine along with their cables with connectors. I use their 14 gauge connectors to go to distro boards and controllers. I used 16 gauge to power inject. This breakout board also works for 750 watt supplies.
    https://www.parallelminer.com/produc...tt-dps-1200fb/

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So, I love seeing the power distro board I designed in your setup !
    I also designed a power supply adapter board for the HP DPS-800 server power supply if you ever have a need.
    You have a nice clear layout!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    I use server supplies also. I did find that my supplies output 12.2 to 12.3 volts so I took off the cover and found the adjustment for voltage. Also, I use breakout boards from parallel mine along with their cables with connectors. I use their 14 gauge connectors to go to distro boards and controllers. I used 16 gauge to power inject. This breakout board also works for 750 watt supplies.
    https://www.parallelminer.com/produc...tt-dps-1200fb/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    So, I love seeing the power distro board I designed in your setup !
    I also designed a power supply adapter board for the HP DPS-800 server power supply if you ever have a need.
    You have a nice clear layout!
    I remember starting the thread about a better distro board and you and MrSmoofy stepped up to the plate and made it happen. As you noticed I have orange covers over the connections to help prevent accidental shorting out when messing around. Also note no cable glands. They take up a lot of room and I don't need them because the boxes are not directly subjected to weather due to my garbage cans made to look like gift boxes. I made the bottom of the BUD box removable to allow for different cable configurations. The mounts for the 682, temp control, distro boards, and inside lighting are all 3D printed. The network connection is a regular which I trimmed down from a RJ45 2 connector plate. I use Velcro to hold power supply because it's easier to remove supply when needed. There's a small wood strip at the bottom of the supply so it doesn't slide down when the box is upright.

Last edited by pmiller; 03-18-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ukewarrior, what's the power supply adaptor board look like? Btw, I like how you hold down the power supply. I may just do mine that way also. Since I have rubber grommets under my supply to raise it up to allow air flow the sides of my hold downs would have to be longer. Looks easy enough to make one.

Post Thanks / Like

See this thread:
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...t=power+supply
    Ukewarrior, what's the power supply adaptor board look like? Btw, I like how you hold down the power supply. I may just do mine that way also. Since I have rubber grommets under my supply to raise it up to allow air flow the sides of my hold downs would have to be longer. Looks easy enough to make one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Okay. Same breakout boards I have from parallelminer. When I got mine they were $6.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great price !
    Okay. Same breakout boards I have from parallelminer. When I got mine they were $6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    I thought it was worth sharing because of using the solder type spade connectors. Made for a very neat installation and will be easy to remove if necessary. Cost of the power supply was $11,
    I like it. I've got a couple hundred of those spades from an abandoned project. Where did you get the supplies?

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a chance on these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally was going to purchase from DIY LED Express but they had sold out at the time I placed my order. Looks like they have some back in stock now. Their breakout board cost twice as much as the power supply however.

I have not tested under load yet but for that price I am not worried too much. Will be testing under partial load as soon as I finish building new mini trees and power injection connectors.

I used the spade connectors on my power distribution boards and am pleased with the interconnection/form/function with the server power supplies.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast