Thread: vixen website problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default vixen website problem

I did a google search on "vixen 3 color library". Clicked the first result which appeared to be

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...a9x5hXnIUsPWmN

and ended up with with 7 windows trying to get me to download stuff. Obviously suspicious...I had to task manager and end task as it wouldn't let me close normally. (Unrelated but don't ya love the google redirect.)

This time around, it took me right to the result screen. Is there something "random" that causes this? Anyone else have this problem? I remember having this problem a few months ago as well but never figured out how to trigger it on regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: vixen website problem

This is a problem that seems to surface every so often and then disappears again. It appears to be related to vulnerabilities in WordPress that we use as the back end for the site. We plan on transitioning to a new system for the website at some point in the near future, just haven't had the time to do it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Wordpress has some well-known hooks that are fairly easy to exploit. I know this from reviewing the access and error logs on one of my web sites. For me, the files they're looking for don't exist because I don't use Wordpress to manage the site. But looking at the error logs, it's easy to see the IP addresses of those trying to break in and I block them globally so they can't try again. It's resulted in a 95+% reduction in the number of attempts to get into the server.

I'd recommend replacing Wordpress at your earliest opportunity.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

your search was for "vixen 3 color library"
    try "vixen3 color library" instead.

also it helps if you use quotations in your search
    Last edited by Aurbo99; 03-17-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Wordpress has some well-known hooks that are fairly easy to exploit. I know this from reviewing the access and error logs on one of my web sites. For me, the files they're looking for don't exist because I don't use Wordpress to manage the site. But looking at the error logs, it's easy to see the IP addresses of those trying to break in and I block them globally so they can't try again. It's resulted in a 95+% reduction in the number of attempts to get into the server.

I'd recommend replacing Wordpress at your earliest opportunity.
    I agree that Wordpress, PHP, and SQL are easy to hook into if they are not properly maintained. Keeping the site up to date in all three of these areas, and some specific security measures added, can make Wordpress as secure as any other CMS.

The problem we see in this request is that the site is never reached. The request is being answered with a bad response by the search engine when it doesn't see what it expects to see. I've had this happen to a site. Not one hit on the site itself, just a bunch of bad responses to the requestor.

Remember that doing a search for "Vixen" will get you definitions of the word, as well as links to the all girl rock group (70s and 80s). Searching for "Vixen3" will get you Vixenlights.

FYI: Can you tell that there is nothing else to do right now - with all the restaurants, pubs, schools, and ... well ... almost everything shut down right now?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

The security package I have on the site shows that it is still clean and up to date, so the search engine redirect is a likely possibility. I have plans to switch it over to a more simple static content site as we don't really use most of the features something like Wordpress is intended to provide. Even that however will no ward of those requests that are redirected before they even make it to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or did the vixenlights.com domain get snatched away? It comes up as "domain for sale"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheaterLights View Post
    Is it just me or did the vixenlights.com domain get snatched away? It comes up as "domain for sale"
    I'm getting the same result on different search engines.

vixenlights.com

Registered to MICHAEL SALLAWAY
    Email *************@GMAIL.COM
    Last Updated Apr 05, 2020
    Expires On Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited by Aurbo99; 04-05-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

There was a snafu with the renewal of the domain, but it should be fixed now. It is working for me, but may take a bit for all the DNS servers to fully propagate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    There was a snafu with the renewal of the domain, but it should be fixed now. It is working for me, but may take a bit for all the DNS servers to fully propagate.
    Resolved for me, thank you!
    Stuck in self-isolation so starting my first display.