Thread: How to remove Glitter Glue from Wireframe Deer

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to remove Glitter Glue from Wireframe Deer

Several years ago we bought a set of wireframe deer from Wally Word that has Glitter glue on them. Every year taking them out they are
    sticky and a pain to work with. In a effort to save them, I have removed the lights and all the rubber band type material wrapped around
    the wire to fill in. I bought new lights for them bit I can't figure out how to get the stupid Glitter Glue OFF! It seams like white glue loaded
    with glitter. Any Ideas on how to remove this junk? The Wife has given up and told me to trash them. Is she right? Thanks, Ray.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to remove Glitter Glue from Wireframe Deer

have you tried goo gone? the thing is, cleaning something like a wireframe is going to involve a lot of elbow grease working in one direction to drive the glue off the "end". a plastic scraper is a must.

I wonder how a magic eraser would do against goo?

heat gun! (take it all off)

Have tried oil based primer to cover them? Depending on the thickness of the goo, it might just crack the paint as the temps change but worth an attempt.
    Last edited by MikeKrebs; 03-09-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok with taking the paint off at this point, the wife wants to repaint anyway. Thanks, I'll give some of those a try. I guess I was trying go get out of as much elbow grease as possible.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 is a good goo remover also
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought of sand-blasting when I read this the first time.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I set a small piece in some paint thinner overnight and the gunk pretty much wiped off. I'm going to try this on a bigger scale this weekend. Haven't tried heat yet.
    I do have a small sand blaster that was my Fathers. Good ole Chraftsman. I've used it several times and it works good. It's just messy and slow going. I have to rig up a tent or something to prevent sand from going everywhere. Cover up all my head and everything except for my eyes and they are covered with goggles. I no longer have my old welding helmet but it did work good to cover my face. And use something for filtering the air I breath. Fun huh!
    The things we do for this HOBBY of Ours!

Post Thanks / Like

Update.
    I don't think I mentioned that the deer come apart. Well with the lights strung on them the legs come out of sockets and can fold into body cavity for storage. So without lights the pieces come apart.
    The paint thinner did work - the thing was being able to soak the pieces. A gallon of paint thinner will only soak so much.
    I ended up soaking everything together in the bottom of a trash can with water. Last 2 weekends I was pressure washing the house. I drained the water off, goggled up and turned it loose on the pieces in the bottom of the can. Didn't get it all but most of the glue did turn loose.
    The wife helped me take each piece and scrub with a v-shaped wire type brush that is made for cleaning outdoors grills. It worked really well getting the remainder of the gunk off.
    I have applied some rust inhibitor on some bare places, wiped down, sprayed primer and will repaint tomorrow. She wants to spray some Glitter on them, not sure why but it is what it is, lol.