Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powered Pixel Over Cat5 (PPOC5)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Powered Pixel Over Cat5 (PPOC5)

Turns out the thermal issue was related to one of the fets being shorted. The supply still regulated with only 1 fet and a heavy load, which is kinda cool. I am going to replace that fet and resume testing. Work has been kicking my ass so I haven't had much time.

Post Thanks / Like

Network Engineering is my day job...I'm highly interested in your project. I think you're on to something here and I'm a big fan of not having a bunch of gear in my yard where an ether run would do...sub'g!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HEMISixty View Post
    Network Engineering is my day job...I'm highly interested in your project. I think you're on to something here and I'm a big fan of not having a bunch of gear in my yard where an ether run would do...sub'g!
    I agree. 120V extensions are a pain and in the snow they get wet and add in some neighbor kids and you have the potential for something bad. I am re-rolling the board with TO-220 devices. I will expedite the boards so I can get some prototypes assembled. I really want to get at least 144W out of these.. While I am at it I will make some improvements too adding power and data LEDs

Post Thanks / Like

Very Interested. Watching.
    I don't have a problem with cat5, but I do have a problem with 12 to 16 cables coming out of a controller box just for a mega tree. I have
    started over the last few years power injecting 12v pixels and only Data and V- from the board. A whole lot less wire!
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Network Engineering is my day job...I'm highly interested in your project. I think you're on to something here and I'm a big fan of not having a bunch of gear in my yard where an ether run would do...
    This is not Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by Litebrite View Post
    I use PoE daily as a network admin. I have often thought of trying to design a PoE switch meant for controlling and powering pixels.
    This is not PoE
    Last edited by pixelpuppy; 08-03-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    This is not Ethernet

This is not PoE
    ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    ???
    I think pixelpuppy was just being a little padantic...I got a chuckle out of it...

Post Thanks / Like

I think pixelpuppy was just being a little padantic...I got a chuckle out of it...
    I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL ... its PEDANTIC.... and that definitely describes me Sorry, its a bit of an occupational hazard for me

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    ???
    I was pointing out that calling this "Ethernet" and/or "PoE" (Power over Ethernet) is incorrect. This is neither Ethernet nor PoE which are both well-defined industry standards, completely different than (and incompatible with) the proprietary product described in this thread (PPOC5)
    Last edited by pixelpuppy; 08-07-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    LOL ... its PEDANTIC.... and that definitely describes me
    Not my first typo, probably not my last...

I was pointing out that calling this "Ethernet" and/or "PoE" (Power over Ethernet) is incorrect. This is neither Ethernet nor PoE which are both well-defined industry standards, completely different than (and incompatible with) the proprietary product described in this thread (PPOC5)
    LOL I knew what you meant, hence the chuckle... Our industry widely accepts the interchangeability of several of our standards’ nomenclature. It’s almost “slang”, in my humble opinion, just as long as you’re typing “config t” more than white papers...

I’m looking forward to reading the topic’s progression...however it’s referred to...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast