Thread: My Experience With SMD Components

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Experience With SMD Components

I have built power distribution modules in the past using perf boards and custom PCBs. This time I wanted to add LED indication of the fuse status but ran into spacing problems using thru hole components. So I used some Surface Mount Devices (SMD). I have soldered relatively large SMD voltage regulators before but this is the first time with smaller components using a standard soldering iron. I am happy with the results. But if I ever decide to build numerous boards of one design, I will definitely look into having the board house solder all of the SMD components.

I used a SMD Helper to hold the components in place while 'gently' soldering one side of the resistors or LEDs. I learned NOT to pre-tin the component pads. Just set the components on the PCB, apply the Helper, then solder one side. Once one side is soldered, you don't have to hold it in place with any other tool.

I designed and printed the SMD Helper which can be found here - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4182732

The PCB is a 6 position DC Power Distribution board.

IMG_6080.jpgIMG_6088.jpgIMG_6095.jpgIMG_6096.jpgIMG_6111.jpg
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Experience With SMD Components

Hi, itís cool that you have made the move over to SMD. Try solder paste youíll love it.

P.S. Nice looking board.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working on a new controller design using mostly SMD components. Using stencils, paste and a toaster oven it's kinda fun. I learned that while I technically can rework 0402 parts if need be, I've revised it all to 0603 and larger. Sadly one of the chips I was using has vanished from stock so I'm in the middle of redesigning it.

Post Thanks / Like

Proper tools for the job make it soooooo much easier.

I am not a pro solderer.
    I used to use a 30 yr old Radio Shack ~25 watt pencil iron.
    Then I upgraded to a Hakko FX888D soldering station. It was life changing!
    I was afraid of SMD but had a need for an SMD on an otherwise through mount board. After some research, I tried solder paste. That too, was life changing!