Thread: Question on my first show I made in Xlights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on my first show I made in Xlights

I made this this evening after watching a few tutorials. The question is I had various effects added but I'm trying to find out how can I make it more beat friendly. Also I made music box dancer but I cant edit how my arches flow and sometimes they just stay solid. The way I made these are I went to
    1) create new sequence
    2) click musical sequence
    3) upload song
    4) click on 50 ms
    5) go to timings and click new
    6) go to bar and beat tracker bars
    7) click ok, ok, then done
    8) that places automatically beats to assign things to
    9) highlight group and right click and create random effects
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/YmnHVthlJ54

https://youtu.be/XEfBLAxeaNU

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question on my first show I made in Xlights

First thing I would recommend is don't use create random effects. Learn the effects, create groups and sequence on the group or model level. The single strand effect works great for arches. I've been using xLights for 5 years and still am clueless on the capabilities of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Step #1, learn about timing tracks. How to create them, how they are applied, and then how they are used to provide the space for your different effects. They are the basics to keeping your effects in sync with your music.
    Step #2, as mentioned, learn about the different effects and how to use them. There are literally thousands of permutations when you get into layering and the like, but look at the basics of each of them and use them as they are - before you start to "mix and match".
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Then play with transitions so you donít have one effect shut off and the next turn on. Looks much better to blend or fade from one to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the advice. I will take any and all because this is all new to me. Keep it coming if anyone has anything to add. Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

As Uncledan said above...creating groups will make you sequencing life much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I actually do have them in groups. I have arches, house lights, garage, roof lights, roofline, spinners, trees, and mega trees. I would have sidewalk and driveway too but it wont fit on my display. But I'll have to add them in too.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty good for random. Just remember that random literally means that. So the reason your arches don't move is because it was randomly assigned an effect that isn't "good" on arches. Find that spot in the sequence see what effect you have and then change it either by using the options for that effect or by changing the effect to something else.

Color palettes are important too. There were some interesting color choices that put into your sequences. Check the "garish" ones and see what kind of palette is being used. Kind of theme the palette for the song.