Thread: E1.31 Servo Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default E1.31 Servo Controller

Has anyone seen any projects or code related to driving rc servos via E1.31?
    I know of DMX based ones but hoping something exists in E1.31 (either wired or wireless)

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: E1.31 Servo Controller

Hi packetbob

I have toyed with the esp8266 and various motors in the past 9 months or so and believe I posted code .

Post Thanks / Like

Any Raspberry pi or Beaglebone can be used along with the cheap PCA9685 based PWM boards, like: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z8R2YB9

FPP 3.6 has an output driver for that built in. Can drive a ton of servos off of one Pi/BBB, and drive lights and such at the same time.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

is FPP an e131 receiver ? Built-in always sounds good .

What is entailed in learning this ?
    Does this require learning the new xlights ?
    Curious at what is all needed .

Post Thanks / Like

FPP running in bridge mode can act as a e1.31 (and/or ArtNet and/or DDP) receiver. Basically, configure a universe or so on the "Channel Inputs" page in FPP and put FPP in bridge mode and it will listen for e1.31 data.

For the PCA9685 stuff, you would need to wire the little board to the I2C bus (pins 3 and 5) on the Pi (and ground which is pin 6 and 3.3v which is pin 1). Then, on FPP's channel output page, go to the "Others" and click "add" and select the PCA9685 option. If you have multiple boards, you can add more there. For each output on the board, configure the start channel and min/max and such.

You don't "need" to learn xLights to play with this. It's just channel data. You can use anything to send a set of e1.31 channels to FPP and it will map that to the PWM needed for the servos.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    FPP running in bridge mode can act as a e1.31 (and/or ArtNet and/or DDP) receiver. Basically, configure a universe or so on the "Channel Inputs" page in FPP and put FPP in bridge mode and it will listen for e1.31 data.

For the PCA9685 stuff, you would need to wire the little board to the I2C bus (pins 3 and 5) on the Pi (and ground which is pin 6 and 3.3v which is pin 1). Then, on FPP's channel output page, go to the "Others" and click "add" and select the PCA9685 option. If you have multiple boards, you can add more there. For each output on the board, configure the start channel and min/max and such.

You don't "need" to learn xLights to play with this. It's just channel data. You can use anything to send a set of e1.31 channels to FPP and it will map that to the PWM needed for the servos.
    Hi Dan, a cool development that I’ve missed. You have to love the PCA9685, are there options other than servos for this board? I’m thinking dumb pixels/strips if FET’s are also used. This is not a request just wondering if it’s something you coded that again I’ve missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Technically it's just a 12bit PWM chip. Thus, you should be able to use it to drive dumb RGB's or similar. The defaults on the outputs for FPP are setup for servos, but the settings are all there to treat it as a plain PWM driver.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the info..
    I have a PCA9685 module and a Rasp Pi kicking around somewhere...
    Time to load up FPP...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post

Thank you for this explanation . I'll have to read more on it .